GMAM Oh I forgot?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

GMAM Oh I forgot?

Post by Jim_Nolan »

John Young has put up a couple of posts about the CD of GMAM drawings he was selling. Although a GMAM is not in my plans, knowing that there was some cross use of parts between that and the 25NC, which I am interested in; I bought one of Johns CD's. This turned out to be a mine of information with works drawings, photographs and CAD drawings his father did of the GMAM he is building.

Although John has said nothing publicly I have now found out of the 50 CDs he sent out he has received payment for only 5. I find this level of what can only be described as theft to be staggering. We get a number of posts on this board about such and such a supplier and how we have been ripped off. Maybe our own cupboard is not as clean as we would like to think.

There can be no excuse for non payment I have seen the goods, similar drawings I bought direct form South Africa cost 3 times as much, the CD is worth it. This hobby is going nowhere if we start ripping each other off.
www.northernsteam.com
ng262_262

Re: GMAM Oh I forgot?

Post by ng262_262 »

I agree whole-heartedly with Jim as I also bought the excellent GMAM CD from John and am one of the five who paid.

Sad situation.

Now if there is anyone in the US who purchased the CD and is not sure the best method of remitting payment to John in South Africa, then EITHER:contact him by e-mail for his NEW secure payment set-up; OR feel free to contact me off List and I will let you know the method I used.

No connection with John, just a very satisfied customer who will purchase from him in the future.

Brian Marriott
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jim,
I totally agree with you... to blatantly take such advantage of the hard work of a fellow hobbyist, which has been graciously made available to the public, is a disgrace...

Although I have no plans to build (for now at least) such a locomotive, I did have in mind getting a copy of the CD just for my records... the South African GMAM is very similar to the ASG class (Australian Standard Garrett)...
This was a 4-8-2+2-8-4 configuration, and I know was the most powerful engine used in my home state (Western Australia)…
34,520lbs tractive effort (85% B.P.)… O.A.L. 85’-10”…

This news will prompt me to place an order earlier than I may have, and maybe become the 6th person to PAY...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Now, guys, I am also one of those who paid, but because of whatever John wanted, I sent cash. I do not know, but he may have had others send cash too, and frankly, I just do not trust the post in his country.

I have paid twice now for my CD, cause when John told us of the ripoff, I sent payment a second time by his new credit card site.

Steve