The Direction of our Hobby?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FredR

Re: The Direction of our Hobby? (very long)

Post by FredR »

Another interesting aspect about the steam locos is that very few seem to end up in the "grave yard". So, while the number of NEW steam locomotives might be declining, the OLD ones don't seem to die either. These machines are purchased, cleaned, repaired, maybe even improved on...just to breath new life into them and get them back on the rails. cb

Amen brother! This is exactly what I did. I haven't the talent, nor the equipement to machine a steamer, much less a set of wheels for a set of trucks for the danged caboose. However, at the time, I had the money, put the word out and found a perfect engine for the money at hand. I have done maintence on it, as with any piece of machinery. When a part had to be made, I contracted out to have it done. I guess, if you put it in todays perspective, it is recycling. I have learned a lot from having this Atlantic. Learning how all the linkage, plumbing and all works, is great. The lesson that I am currently learning is where to be able to get certain plumbing parts that are no longer available.

Fred
Patrik

Re: The Direction of our Hobby?

Post by Patrik »

Yes or even lower like Lill Joe. I think Lill Joe is a wonderful engine... To much money for mee though
Patrik
ccvstmr

Re: The Direction of our Hobby? (very long)

Post by ccvstmr »

Yeah Fred...
We had another guy at the ILS purchase an Atlantic about 2-3 years. Don't know if the loco ever ran before that or how low it sat around collecting dust. He ended up tearing the engine all the way down to the drivers and axles and checked pieces/parts, one by one, as he started the reassembly process. He found lots of problems and errors in machining along the way. He asked a lot of people for help...which he got. He corrected, replaced or adjusted whatever needed attention.

When you watch those high rolling drivers go by, you can't help notice the grin (coal covered at that) on his face. (Don't think we've pixelated him yet and posted on the club bulletin board, something to work on this year.) Is the engine complete? No...but, but the major problems are done and past now and he keeps chipping away at the little problems. Not to mention, he has an extreme sense of accomplishment...'cause he never did anything like steam loco work before!

Desire, fortitude, goal setting and full steam ahead! cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

I strongly feel that we, ie those already involved in Live steam, whether on rail road water or stationary, can ensure that our hobby continues only by helping and encouraging beginners of all ages. Obviously we cannot install a beginner in the driving seat of a large powerful model when doing public duty on a club track,but if that beginner is keen enough to turn up whenthere is a chance of a gentle private drive, perhaps at a reduced pressure to begin with then surely this is the way to encourage interest and involvement. The best way I can think of honouring the memory of those who helped us when we were beginners is to help those who are today's beginners. Here in Ontario we are relatively few in numbers and we all try to encourage growth in the Live Steam and associated hobbies.I realise it can be a bit worrying when letting a partly skilled person run a precious model but with sensible supervision backed by thorough instruction I am sure we can have the success of creating another competent Live Steamer
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Post by themnax »

i think there will always be an interest in every conceivable form of propulsion that can be applied to an object that runs on tracks small and (realitively) inexpensive enough to build and or own and or at least have access to the use of that is also just big enough to park your backside on and have it move under it's own power.
steam has some advantages as well as drawbacks. that it is possible for one person to create and perfect each and every part of an object that does all of the above is probably more achievable in steam then elswise.
personaly i'm one who'se interest doesn't emphasise the particular form of propulsion (but can't presently afford even to assemble such an object from improvisation even without attempting to make it an actual model of anything) but i can observe that the passage of time or the evolving of newer tecnologies does not diminish interest in each and every that has gone before.
somewhere there is probbably someone who has built a small scale horse drawen trolly pulled by a miniature poney or a dog team or something. i haven't seen such a thing. i'm only immagining.
i know i have seen peddal power. and who knows what we'll see next.
not meaning to be too iconoclastic of a curmudgeon
but diversity is something i've always seen as positive and probably always will
to me the salient features of 4.75 up to 18 or even 20 inch guage railroading is that it runs on a guideway (track), moves under it's own power and carries passingers (and or cargo)
as long as there is a riding scall railroad hobby there will be steam AND infernal combustion AND electric AND who knows what exotic possibilities may be out there as well
(and i for one will be glad for all of them)
... /\
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)