Outdated Plans & Outlawed Materials

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

KingOfToyzz

Outdated Plans & Outlawed Materials

Post by KingOfToyzz »

Another question on the subject of boilers and such. In a lot of my reading, actually all, I have come across many times where I am to get esbestos (sp). Used in the the wick for the burners and in lining certain areas of the firebox. What are folks using these days?

Thanks again,

Kent
DonT

Re: Outdated Plans & Outlawed Materials

Post by DonT »

KENT:
I have the same problem. I am currently experimenting with wicks made of alternate layers of woven fiberglass cloth and flannel cotton cloth. These wicks are for a 3/4 in. scale CASE traction engine with alchol burners. I will post again after I have made further evaluations of this combination.

I am very interested in what others may have to say on this subject.

Don Taylor
TrotFox

Post by TrotFox »

The SmallScale Steam guys seem to use averything from fiberglass sheet to shaped porous firebrick to woven stainless steel. Recently there was info on a vaporising burner designed for 2.5" gauge locos passed around which might also be applicable... Since I don't have an alcky-burner yet I'm not sure what's the best.

I saved the article on the vap. burner if you're interested, it's 4 large .jpg images though. Not very bandwidth-friendly... : ]

Trot, the butane-powered, fox... (so far)
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hey Trot
Send a copy my way
cbrew@brewfamily.com
Thanks!
chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Don,
You should plug into what is being done in the garden railway (0Ga, Ga1, Ga3) world in burner design and technology. Some pretty intersting and creative stuff being done there and of course none of it involves asbestos although asbestos wicking is still very much in use. Safety-wise there is more ambient airborne asbestos that would be present from a small wick. There is also alcohol and then there is Alcohol; some types and brands are much better than others.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
KingOfToyzz

Post by KingOfToyzz »

I'd appreciate a copy of those 4 files as well, soberman@attbi.com

Thanks
GeorgeGaskill

Try this stuff (from the lagging thread of a few..

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

days ago) Fiberfrax. The rope near the bottom seems like it would be good for a burner wick.
FredR

Re: Try this stuff (from the lagging thread of a few..

Post by FredR »

I have some. I will see if it takes alcohol....

Well, I just tried it. I tried getting it to wick 4" straight up. Nogo. If you lay it on edge, it might work better, but it set the whole pie pan on fire, so that kinda failed. After the fire goes out, the wick has a tendency to burn/smolder and that's it.

Fred