Injector plumbing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doogdoog

Re: Injector plumbing

Post by doogdoog »

Aloha, not into steam engines but that filter sounds like the inline after market automobile
carburetor filter. They also sell the small brass filter alone that the rochester quadrajet
carburetor uses. Hope this helps.

Mahalo,
Howard
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Trotfox,
I've never seen sintered bronze "mufflers" used for water filtration. While I guess you could use them, I would think they'd restrict the flow of water too much. Besides, what's the best way to get the gunk out of the pores if it gets clogged short of outright replacement? On my 10 wheeler, there's a piece of fine screen mesh wrapped around a brass support. Rubber O-rings hold the screen in place. I've never had any problems with this arrangement....yet. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Trotsky old buddy, you right, the filter is a small bronze thingie made out of, as you said, brass balls pressed together. I plan on putting the filter in the line between the water tank and the injector or the hand pump. If they get plugged, they are easy to remove and replace plus they are cheap. I just wish the filter element was larger so it would pass more water. There are other in line filters which seem to be made of paper pleated like an air cleaner, but I got an idea they would dissolve in water. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] Any comments from anyone on these "paper" filters? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

On two of my locos, I have 100 mesh Stainless steel screens inside the tender water tanks as per instructions from Superscale.

Unka(staunch advocate of filtered water) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Karl_Losely

Post by Karl_Losely »

Jesse:
Out at TM in 2000, I met a fellow from Texas who was using what looked like plain old automotive type in-line gas filters for his injector suction lines. They were clear plastic with paper elements inside. He said they worked great, never had a problem with them. He had them hanging in the lines between tender and engine.
FredR

Post by FredR »

Who would that fellow be? Dave Hannah? I can't think of who all goes to TM from here.

Fred (I'm in Texas) Rorex

gawd, now I sound like Unkl J. :-)
Karl_Losely

Post by Karl_Losely »

I'm pretty sure it was not Dave Hannah. It seems like the fellow's last name started with a 'V'. I do remember he was burning reclaimed coal. Burned well, smelled terrible (and I'm a coal burner). My partner double-headed our Hudson with him several times.
John_Young

Post by John_Young »

My water filters are made from 100 mesh brass screen rolled into a tube and soft soldered to
a piece of copper tubing. The filter can be as long as you want. Solder the end and the side seam shut,
and it's ready. I put the copper tube in a piece of flexible tubing and let that lie on the bottom of the tender.
If it gets clogged, you can pull it up and wipe it off without disconnecting it. Then clean it good when its
more convienent. I put a washer on the copper tube to hold the whole thing up so it can't
pick up crud off the bottom. Works well.
One other thing, you said your injector was under the cab. If it gets too hot, just let the water run
for a while without steam. That may cool it enough to pick up.
Phill

Post by Phill »

I have never bothered with filters. I use a fine sieve made from very fine woven brass mesh, in the shape of a cylinder with a brass ring soldered onto one end with the other soldered into the drain nut of the water outlet from the tank. All water passes through the sieve, with ease. The partical size that will go through is too small to block any of my injector cones.

Cheers,

Phill.
He who dies with the most toys, does not win!
He who dies with the most used and loved toys, wins.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Carl, I looked at the paper (if that is what they really are) and worried that they might disintigrate if kept wet for any length of time. Maybe they are treated with something or not made of paper at all, but some kind of polyester or sumpin. I am sure they would pass water faster than the wee little metallic things I bought. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Anybody had any long term experience with the paper filters?

Unka(Inquiring mind wants to know) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb