Small Engines

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: Small Engines -Unca

Post by UnkaJesse »

Dampfwilli, I would like a job making holes in Emmentaler Cheese, but am afraid I would eat up all of the cheese company's profits!!

Unka(I and my taped duck both like cheese)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

...AND he missed one.

Yeah yer bloody down under blighter, yer would see that missin 'ole and bring it ter everyone's attention wouldn't yer?? Actually I didn't miss it, I saw that I 'ad got off on the wrong tack and left that one 'ole be while I corrected the "y" axis.

Actually, that missin' ole is what my late friend Willie McCommon would have called a "character mark" like the Japanese artists always intentionally leave on their fine art porcelain wares so it cannot be called "perfect"!

Unka(admits he makes mistakes, but my duck ain't cooked yet) Jesse
FredR

Post by FredR »

Like I said, I don't think I would want to undertake such a project. I guess I wouldn't have the confidence needed for that many flues. I mean, it looks like over sized mesh with that many holes. Good luck with the hydro.... I'm rootin fer ya.

Fred
FredR

Post by FredR »

...AND he missed one.

Yeah yer bloody down under blighter, yer would see that missin 'ole and bring it ter everyone's attention wouldn't yer??

Well, I actually thought that you did it that way for a reason and didn't say anything about it. But now that HE mentioned it.....
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Fred, TEL, that un-drilled hole actually came in handy because it allowed me to orient the top tube sheet exactly with the bottom one so the tubes went in straight. Found out one thing about those blinkin' tubes, they were not perfectly round on the OD. I reamed the holes to .379" and the tubes should have slud right in, but many did not and had to be tapped in place. All at once, I would hit a round cross section and the tube would slide in properly. I had to pull several out because they were so out of round that I could not drive them in place. Altogether, I used 145 feet of tubing and maybe discarded 4 feet beacause of poor quality. Although the cardboard tube boxes seemed to say USA and in fine print "made in Mexico", on closer examination the boxes were actually printed IUSA. Sort of misleading would you not say??

Unka (Turning my duck loose any day now)Jesse