Complete Newbie Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Complete Newbie Project

Post by UnkaJesse »

NEWBIE PROJECT IS FINISHED!!!!!! Yay!! At least I hope it is finished. I stayed home from the local Heritage days thingie to make the stack and top, replace a few bolts where I had used round head screws. Things like that. I am sure there will be problems at the track with leaks in the steam and water lines, but I always carry a complete set of tools with me and in this case I am carrying a few spare chain links. I believe that I will have to shorten the two long chains by a half link after it has been run a bit and everything settles in.

Reverse lever is the crank thingie and the throttle is the wooden handwheel a couple of inches above it. I put on an L&N RR type brass flare on the stack. Next week (barring constant rain) should tell if the thing will fly of if the engine is too small as is. Engine bore can be easily increased should power be inadequate.

SEE ATTACHMENT!

Unka(Gonna sit back and un-lax for a while)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Dick_Morris

Re: Complete Newbie Project

Post by Dick_Morris »

Way to go Unka!

You've already had a break of an hour or so, have you started something new yet?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hey unka jesse,
Sure looks good,
let us know how she runs
Chris

If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

... Very nice my friend. Looks great!

BG
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Nice little lookie Unka!!
Patrik
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

Huiiii. Not bad. Not bad. I wait for what this thing pulls away.
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Newbie was steamed for the first time today. It took about 12 minutes to get the gauge hand "off the peg" and as pressure came up, a few leaks showed up which was to be expected. Engine could be operated back and forth only for a total of six inches on the stand, but it appeared to be pretty lively. A good bit of leakage at the oscillating cylinder seats, but this should improve with running. Steam pretty well stayed up at 80 PSI with one safety lifted, so I should have enough steam. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Weather supposed to be dry next two days as the rain clouds store up water for the Mid-South meet so I should be able to load the engine onto the mighty Dodge tomorrow afternoon. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(happy so far, but this may change next week)Jesse
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Jesse, I sure do hope that it runs as well as it looks. Congratulations on a project well done.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
willy

Post by willy »

Hey Jesse;

What about putting some lapping compound in between the cylinders at initial building to facilitate the "seating" of the cylinders? Or do you think it would make it leak too much? I suppose the builder could do this and run it on air before the loco is done? How about your thoughts?

-willy-
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Willy, I did use some fine valve grinding compound to lap in the cylinders, but I 'spect actually running the engine will seat everything in place, (I hope, I hope, I hope)!! Newbie Project is now loaded in the mighty Dodge Cummins and awaits connection to the fifth wheel trailer for the trip to Columbia. Auntie Fern and I worked on getting the trailer shipshape this afternoon. As I have stated before, there is the possibility that I need larger cylinder bores for more power. The boiler really makes steam so there is no problem there, but we shall see if the engine is adequate come Wednesday morn when everything gets seated in. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(ever hopeful)Jesse
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

Congratulations on completing your engine. Looks outstanding!