Moseley Steam Turbo Generator--need help

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ejgold

Moseley Steam Turbo Generator--need help

Post by ejgold »

I need to speak with anyone who has experience with using a Moseley Steam Generator. I can not figure out how to wire it to the lights when it only puts out 2 1/2 volts.

Eric Gold
Centennial, CO
303-699-6180
goldfamily@peoplepc.com
Paul_Mulford

Re: Moseley Steam Turbo Generator--need help

Post by Paul_Mulford »

Eric Do you have a wiring diagram of the generater? or some good photos that I could examine? Do you have a volt and ohm meter plus an ammeter?
pappde

Post by pappde »

Not in series. Parallel.
corlissbs

Post by corlissbs »

I have the original instructions that came with mine if that will help. Mine is mounted on the loco but not hooked up yet. Because of problems that Ihave heard of, I am planning on charging a battery with it.

Brad Smith
Brad E. Smith
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

How do you mean? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img], do you have two turbo generators an want to connect them, how strong are you lights? how many?
Patrik
Pete_W

Post by Pete_W »

I just bought a Moseley, and it will only put out 2.5V @ 30,000RPM.
Never run it without a load on it either.
You must have a regulator to keep the volume at the same rate so it does not surge.
Feed is 5/32 to regulator ad 1/8 from reg to turbine.
Hope you get it working.
Pete Winchester,
Mesa AZ.
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

Eric,

On my 1" scale Berkshire I have a Moseley generator. I hooked it up many years ago. It kept blowing out expensive bulbs. I cut the wires and put a motorcycle battery in the gon behind the loco and wired everything 6 volts. No problem since. I do not have the exhaust steam in my chest on a cold night anymore either!. On my 1&1/2 inch locos I have a 12 volt deep discharge battery in the reefer behind the tender. Believe me IT AIN'T WORTH FUSSING WITH IT!. Bruce
Craig

Post by Craig »

I have a Mosley that only runs two 1 1/2 volt flashlight bulbs in series in the cab. I also have a steam pressure regulator, sometimes it sticks and I gently tap it and it is OK. These bulbs are 19 years old and still working.
All other lights, including more cab lights are all battery powered. I use a car battery I run 7 to 9 lights and a electric fuel pump. I can run a week long meet at a time without charging. When I ran a engine without the fuel pump I used a small engine battery, an old one that would not crank my riding mower, then next time the mower needed another one I switched again. This worked for me for twenty years.
I personally would forget about charging a battery with the generator.
I once saw an engine only using the gerenator for light power and the regulator stuck just as they were leaving the steaming bays, the lights got very bright and the gen was singing very high rpm's and then there was darkness. They did not get to play that night.
Just my personal opinion.