Plans for a Steam Whistle?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Plans for a Steam Whistle?

Post by Fred_V »

Martin Evans' book shows a design where a large can is used. the whistle blows into the can to deepen the tone. also the G guage guys do a similar thing to get a better tone from their tiny whistles.

try it and give us a report.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
MAKINSMOKE40

Post by MAKINSMOKE40 »

Maybe I'm jumping to the obvious, but Joseph Foster Nelson's "So You Want to Build a Live Steam Locomotive" has a great piece on building a steam whistle, including critical dimensions to achieve both volume and pitch. There is a chart showing how long the tubes need to be for a particular note, and how to build it with adjustable or non-adjustable throat.
Brian
TrotFox

Post by TrotFox »

I currently can't remember who builds it but there is a wonderful example of a G-sized resonator whistle built for the Accucraft C-16. It uses a small whistle orifice connected to a hollow sand dome whose relatively large volume gives the whistle a wonderful low tone. Since the theory of opperation was explained to me I have been able to get the same effect while blowing on a soda bottle. ; ] You can almost play one like a musical instrument by changing the inlet size if you change how much of the opening is covered by your lower lip.

Of course, anyone with a beard will have great difficulty with this scientific experiment...

Trot, the wierd, fox... } ; ]
bcody

Post by bcody »

Check out this web site. I think it might answer your questions. http://whistleman.com/index.html Bill