What's this "Chip Sweeper" thing?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

C_Wilkes

Re: What's this "Chip Sweeper" thing?

Post by C_Wilkes »

I would like to know too!
Cam
Bob_Starr

Post by Bob_Starr »

Go over to the machinist board where they have a forum heading, Site Software Questions and Answers , for questions about the board. Marty answered that question over there.
Bob
willy

Post by willy »

Here is the link to the sweeper understanding. Alas they wish to grade us with a counter, that instead of a # you are branded with a name. The bad part is that it does not have a import machine to
know postings form the other board. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showthreaded. ... =7&fpart=1
GeorgeGaskill

It's a goofy-a$$ way of ranking posters by the ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

number of posts they have made. It started fresh with the new board so whatever record you had on the old one no longer counts. Don't let it offend you; even Forrest probably started with the Chipsweeper ranking.
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Re: It's a goofy-a$$ way of ranking posters by the ...

Post by themnax »

i've never admin'd a board so i wouldn't know the first of how to tell anyone how to do it - but i'm on enough other forums (on a somewhat diverse number of themes and subjects), vbulliten and otherwise, to know this is one of those features that on most of em there's a way for the admin's to turn on and off. most folks i know on most board really don't care or particularly want to know how many times the next person has posted to it ...
it's one of those things the programers who create these forum packages think is "koote" - argh ... personaly i don't much care for the graphic 'smilies' either ...
ubb codes are on the other hand occasionaly quite useful.
obviously there's a lot of 'newness' here to get used to.
like the edit box on everyone's posts which should probably only show on each of our own.
(whereas a quote button in the group under each post to be able to quote part of it in your reply is one of the usefull ones)
i'm sure these little details will get worked out in time.
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)
MarkLong

Post by MarkLong »

Yea I agree, things like the ranking names (chipsweeper, etc) and the smilie faces are HIGHLY ANNOYING!! They just add useless clutter to the board. What purpose do they serve?

On another board that also lists the number of posts folks have made people got into a "race" to see who could make the most posts. So they just started posting useless short messages that detracted from the quality of the forum.

Once the board settles down, and Marty gets out from under all the issues that undoubtedly surfaced launching this forum maybe some "fluff" can be trimmed out. And he can focus on "tweaking" the forum. I know he is putting in lots of overtime, and we all appreciatte his efforts (Thanks Marty!!)

Regardless, I am getting comfortable with the new format and it does have a lot of nice features.
raylrodr

Post by raylrodr »

Also...whats with the stars, etc., appearing after someone's name?
BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Yeah, a lot of programmers seem to like cluttered sites, cutsie graphics and redundant information.

It does provide options though. Extra work for Marty to decide what to keep and what to junk; much less work for us to figure out our preferences. I agree less is more.

But I'm just a wanna-be newbie. I only hope all those who have been so helpful on the old board will patiently endure the process. Please don't leave us now!
Dave_Haggland

Post by Dave_Haggland »

So, how DO we get those cute little stars?????? DH [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Tel

Post by Tel »

Ya gotta impress someone enough to give you some - here's a few to kick you off
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Tel
willy

Post by willy »

Oh sure give some to the newbie and forget us old farts. I made sure to rank Unka Jesse with 5. Think I would get any??? NNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo! LOL

-willy-