Tender/Engine Hose connections

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DonF

Re: Tender/Engine Hose connections

Post by DonF »

Carl:

I agree with your suggestion about the Parker quick disconnects- I'm using them on my engine for water and steam with no problems. I use fuel line hose (with the fiber braid) and it handles the steam and high pressure with no complaints. The lack of auto shutoffs isn't a problem since I drain everything after I finish steaming. I was able to get all the fittings (disconnects, 45 degree angle elbows and some nifty pinch clips to tighten the hose) from a local hydraulic fittings supplier.

Sincerely,

Don
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I use rubber air hose. It's braided in the rubber and I am pumping with an axle pump through it. Flare fittings on the ends and hose clamps over the barbs. Works fine.
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

When discussing engine tender connections there are a few distinctions that should be addressed. Are they for pressure? (compressed air) Or negative pressure (water for injectors or pumps). For pressurized lines we need some sort of braided reinforced hose. For this I use "High Pressure Nitrile Rubber Tubing" available from McMaster Carr in sizes 9/64 to 3/8 ID It is black in color and has a braided nylon cover.It has a faily small OD in relation to the ID which looks good on our models. Even though it's only rated to 220F I have also used it for years on steam brake lines to tenders.
Water supply lines on the other hand are not usually pressurized, so we are not concerned with pressure tolerant characteristics. What we want here is large ID and flexability. For this I use "Oil-Resistant Nitrile Rubber Tubing", also available from Mc Master. This tubing has a 1/16 wall thickness which can give you a large ID and still maintain a reasonable OD for appearance purposes on our models once again. Now here is the trick, you have to stuff a stainless steel spring (also available from Mc Master) inside the thin wall hose. If you don't, it will kink. With a spring stuffed in them you can tie these hoses in a knot and they will still flow fine.
I just love my McMaster Catalog!
Jack
railfancwb

Post by railfancwb »

I just love my McMaster Catalog! Jack

What hoops must one jump through, Jack, to get a current McMaster-Carr catalog? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img] One just sold on eBay for $77.00 plus $12.00 S&H! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] Thanks, Charles
FredR

Post by FredR »

What hoops must one jump through, Jack, to get a current McMaster-Carr catalog? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img] One just sold on eBay for $77.00 plus $12.00 S&H! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] Thanks, Charles [/quote]

Well, if you really MUST buy one, then go ahead, but me, I'd rather just go online at http://www.mcmaster.com/ And I would bet that you can get a printed version from them as well. Whether or not they charge you for one, I don't know.

Fred
Jack

Post by Jack »

Trying to get a McMaster catalog has boggled the great minds of science and made them soft! One of the best ways to get one is to find someone who gets a new one every year and get their old one. It seems they will only send you one if you have ordered enough stuff??? Yes that's what they say. But thats not such a problem as their entire catalog is on line www.mcmaster.com .Another outfit that is very good is MSC mscdirect.com or call them at 800.645.7270 their catalog is just as good as McMaster and they will send you one free. I get all my high speed tooling from them. If I order from McMaster I have my stuff the next day. If I order from MSC it takes two days so I order a lot more from McMaster.
Jack