Falk No.1 loco, and Power Model Supply Company

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: Falk No.1 loco Patterns, Who needs parts?

Post by gwrdriver »

None, if you have permission to use the Krebs patterns, or if you remake the patterns, or if you redraw the Harris drawings incorporating changes. The only legal trouble might start if you copy the Live Steam and/or Harris drawings and redistribute those for personal gain. There has been lengthy discussion of copyright issues on another board and copyright does not extend to patterns.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
UnkaJesse

Re: Falk No.1 loco Patterns, Who needs parts?

Post by UnkaJesse »

I have contacted Jamie (well actually, he contacted me) about the possiblilty of building a Falk strictly by fabrication of the castings. I used PMS castings for my wheels and cylinders, but then went into fabrication for the donkey engine cylinder and gear bracket with no problems. I see no reason that the other castings could not be also fabricated. The wheels especially should be a snap using Kozo's methods because the wheels have a solid disc back which would help hold everything in place as assembly progressed. As to timing the eccentrics, I had no problem with that since I did it before the boiler was in place and access was easy. Only thing I have noted about the Falk Stephenson's link motion is that when in full reverse, the link comes pretty darn close to the railhead.

I used steel for almost every part where Bill Harris said to use aluminum and made the cab of steel also to get as much weight as possible. It is a neat little lokie and so ugly that it has crossed over into being cute. So much so that the first time I took it to a meet, a woman dragged her husband over to show it to him. She told him that if he built one, he could keep it on the mantle in the living room!!

The ATTACHMENT shows my Falk, but it is reversed because I made it to print on one of my "T" shirts, so don't get confused about it being "wrong hand." Also it is a bit fuzzy around the edges because I used photoshop to remove a distracting background.

Unka(Well, it is a cute little thing, it really is!)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb