Steamers Christmas Tree

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Steamers Christmas Tree

Post by UnkaJesse »

I set up my Christmas tree yesterday. See ATTACHMENT Designed and built it 40 some odd years ago and we use it every year, but a few years ago I found this "N" scale 1860s American train set that was supposed to be set up in the branches of a standard living fir tree. Bought a few sections of "N" scale track and voila' I can play with my choo-choo even though it is too cold to go to Mid-South!

Unka(Well, you knew I wouldn't settle for a regular tree didn't you? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
willy

Re: Steamers Christmas Tree

Post by willy »

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Grin, ok its a bit early. Yes, we use a train around ours too.

-willy-
Allen

Post by Allen »

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forget the calls I've gotten (one almost every year), usually from the wife of some newby small scale live steamer -- asking how they were supposed to get steam oil out of the carpet.

(none of you fellows run 'em under the tree or on the SWMBO's rug... do ya?)
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Verily, Allen, it sounds like you have been caught running (sometime in the past and only one time) on your SWMBO's rug. Right?

Unka(I wonder if I could convert that little American on my tree to Live Steam? I know there have been some tiny ones built by people more talented and adventurious than me [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
David_W

Post by David_W »

Unk, that is wunnerful. On what seems to be alternating years I still put my 1951 American Flyer Hudson and freight cars the set came with around the bottom of the tree. It still smokes, too, although I had to find the most recent supplier of the "smoke juice," and although he claims it's the same, it ain't! (The nose knows. It's close, but it ain't!)
David (well I wish A.C.Gilbert hadn't kept the formula a secret) W
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

David, I still have my American Flyer Hudson too, but never run it anymore. About that smoke, I still would know the odor if I happened to sniff some of it anywhere. For those of you wondering if it smelled bad, it did not. Had a plesant oily smell to it, it did. Ah--nostalgia! I also have a real rare bird, a Miller ALCO S-1 for "S" gauge two rail track. Motor armatures right on axles and NO brushes! The wheels were segmented and 180° out of phase with each other so the rails acted as brushes. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(I tell you, I been going at this train stuff backwards. I should have been into live steam while I was young and had a good back then graduated to "S" or "N" scale when I got old and decrepit [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
Allen

Post by Allen »

run em indoors? on the rug? nah......

I DID get hell from the fire marshall for runnin a Ruby and a Mamod at a mall show once. IMO the smoke fluid that them Lionels use stinx a lot worse.

I also set off the carbon monoxide detector once playing with a throttle governed 2hp Witte in the basement
Allen

Post by Allen »

I have half a bottle of old Gilbert/ AF amoke fluid -- smells kinda like oil of frankincense and white kero
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Unka(I wonder if I could convert that little American on my tree to Live Steam? I know there have been some tiny ones built by people more talented and adventurious than me [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse

One of the pioneers in narrow gauge model railroading, Hugh Boutell, built at least one live steamer in 17/64" scale to run on HO track -- an 0-4-2 with 4 wheel tender. Apparently he also built a live steam shay at some point, based on the listings for his name in http://www.index.mrmag.com/tm.exe

A Narrow Gauge Live Steamer
Model Railroader, March 1941 page 146
( "BOUTELL, HUGH", LIVESTEAM, NARROWGAUGE, MR )

Geared loco, fired with incense
Model Railroader, January 1945 page 12
( "BOUTELL, HUGH", GEARED, LIMA, LIVESTEAM, SHAY, STEAM, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, MR )

So you can do it, Unka Jesse! Just pick up a case or two of those high power reading glasses and have at it.

Charles
FLtenwheeler

Re: Small

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Take a look at this web page

The Internet Craftsmanship Museum [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I have seen one engine so small that hardware is smaller than 0000-160. He made the taps and dies to do the job. But I can not find the page any more.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Unka

You must be one ot those train nuts...........:o)
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

John, Me a train nut?? Nah! Newaw hoppon GI! The fact that there is a "N" scale train on the tree, some "S" gauge stuff stored, A few HO items (Heisler) (Shay), one of those large American Flyer Hudsons that came with an Erector ® Set, and five 1-1/2" scale lokies means nothing, nothing I say. Do the ATTACHMENT answer your query?

Unka(I am trying to swear off of trains, I am)Jesse