Looking for Drawings or ideas for Cylinder Drains

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: I'll try again!

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jay, I just checked and the 4501 is alive and well at the TVRM in Chattanooga. Cut and paste the address below and you will go directly to the photo gallery.
http://www.tvrail.com/images/photogallery/TVR.html

I looked at the main page to see if I could find out which locomotive would be on some of the excursion runs, but it did not tell except steam or diesel.

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
wolkowis

Post by wolkowis »

Jesse,
Great web page!! Sometime we will have to get down there and see those great locos. It looks like they painted
4501 black and it is not in running condition, is that right?
I'm in the process of adding a steam water pump to the left side similar to the pics on the web sight.
Thanks,
Jay
UnkaJesse

Re: Looking for Drawings or ideas for Cylinder Drains

Post by UnkaJesse »

Dick, the attachment shows my cylinder cock arrangement to keep from blasting the ballast all over everything. It would appear from the photo, that a lot of the crud that got blasted up is still stuck on everything. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] The diverter was soft soldered onto the original cocks after I turned the pretty little flared tip (like your drawing) off of them. Actually, the cocks on the big trains blow to the side for probably the same reason that I changed mine. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Whup! The attachment didn't work and I know why. Dumb old Unka Jesse stuck in one too many letters in the file name. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img] Here is the right one.

Unka Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jay and others, see the attachment for a photo of the 4501 that I promised. May be a bit small, Jay, but I am emailing you a big one.

Unka Jesse
wolkowis

Post by wolkowis »

Jesse,
Great picture!!
Thanks,
Jay

PS: Here is another pic of me and my Mike with my head getting steamed! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
wolkowis

Post by wolkowis »

Jesse,
You may have not meant to send this pic, but it got me thinking. How do the valves in these drain cocks work?
I have an English engine(1.5 scale, 7.5 gauge) which has mechanical drain cocks which are complicated and I constantly
have to readjust them. It seems yours are much simpler and would seem to be adaptable to my engine.
Jay
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jay, The cylinder cocks are made identical mechanically to the larger "stop cocks" and drain cocks that are available at the local hardware or auto parts store. I used a little bitty tapered reamer to make the hole in the body. Look back to the posting by Dick Morris to get the idea about how to make them. I can't remember what size pipe tap I used, but I spect it was a 1/4" MPT. I didn't make my own reamer but found a little taper pin reamer. It would be better to make the reamer as Dick outlines in the post. That way you would be sure to have the exact same taper on the reamer as on the valves themselves. I have these style valves on almost every steam engine I have built.

Unka Jesse
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Here is a follow-up

I have designed and produced the manual cylinder drains,
Here is a picture of the linkage I went with

Enjoy
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.