Verticle boiler,superheater?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBrew

Verticle boiler,superheater?

Post by JBrew »

Comments please,what thoughts do you experienced livesteamers have as to running SS superheater coil in smoke box of verticle boiler used on LE crab,propane fired,all steel boiler?
Rolly

Re: Verticle boiler,superheater?

Post by Rolly »

Im not familiar with that boiler, but I use a SS super heater over the fire in some boilers. You need to size the length for the demand. You don’t want more then 200 D above saturation temperature, and you will need lubrication.
Rolly
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

I have a stock boilered CliShay. I would consider the superheater coil as more of a dryer than a superheater based on the observation of the character of the steam coming out (it is basically saturated) and the fact that at the top of the tubes, it does not "see" the fire. When I take off the bonnet, it is soot covered. When the water level is too high, the engine primes, so it is not flashing the carry over.

Steve
C_Wilkes

Post by C_Wilkes »

I have a stock built LE crab boiler that I am going to use for my CliShay. It is a nice design and I have fired on wood, propane, and coal. With the propane it actually raised steam "lazier"(is that a word?). I don't think a superheater would do too much for it.
The one thing to remember is that the Crown Sheet is farther below the bottom of the SightGlass than regular locomotives. I like to keep it at a little less than half a glass because if the boiler pops off, you have got a WET shower. The crown is right above the firbox door and the glass is almost an, IIRC, inch and a half above it. But the bottom line, at least I think, is that if there is too much water in the crab boiler you are going to get wet either way.
I don't know if I have helped or not but that is from experience with the same boiler, if LE hasn't changed the design since the 80's.
Here is a link to a goofy kid and his first steam lokey.
Crab
Cam
triplexJames

Post by triplexJames »

How much pressure are you running?
If the boiler is priming, run higher pressure and lower water level. Or bad water will cause it to prime.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Cam, It is good to see that you got off to an early start with the LE Crab. We need more young people to get into steam before all us old codgers start pushing up daisys. How long ago was the pic made? I know you ain't an old codger yet for sure.

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
C_Wilkes

Post by C_Wilkes »

Jesse,

That was the Largo Central Railroad July Mini Meet. You should try and make it down to the Sunshine state for one of the Florida Meets. You would enjoy yourself! That also goes for anyone else.
Cam
JBrew

Post by JBrew »

James, the engine has not been delivered yet,I have nearly finished the boiler,all seel,propane fired,1.2 gal. cap. @operating level.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Jesse, What kind of superheater are you planning for your "Newbie" engine boiler??
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
willy

Post by willy »

I would love to Cam, yet are you dual guage? ie 7.25?

-willy-
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Al, The boiler which I am using as a pattern has about 3 or 4 turns of copper tubing over the ends of the flues to act as a sort of superheater. It may also have a few turns for a feed water heater.

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

This is the S.S superheater that is in my new marine boiler. The loop is directly over the fire. See attachment for photo.
Rolly