Verticle boiler,superheater?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rolly

Re: Verticle boiler,superheater?

Post by Rolly »

This is the copper economizer (feedwater heater) that is in my new marine boiler.
See attachment photo.
Rolly
Tel

Post by Tel »

Nice one Rolly, but yer superheater link seems to be dead
Tel
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

OK Tel
I changed the attachment for the superheater. Try again.
Rolly
Tel

Post by Tel »

Mush better Rolly, I Can See! & you thought the age of miracles was dead.

Nice work.
Tel
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Rolly, with all that tubing in the economizer, you probably have steam before the feedwater even gets to the mud drums! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

UnKajesse
That wont happen. Its in the top of the boiler where the temperature is 500 F or less. The boiler is rated for 300 PSI. I dont expect to run over 200 PSI with the engine that is now in the boat. 200 PSI steam saturated is around 360 F There is not enough heat differential to bring the temperature of the economizer up that high. You only get steam when you drop the pressure of the water/temperature. Feed water is under pressure. In my large boat I have seven square feet of economizer and the temperature / pressure has never reached operating pressure no mater what range I run.
Rolly

http://ourworld.cs.com/revans8770/page3.html
willy

Post by willy »

She is beautiful. Image

Where did you get a 12 volt motor to mount directly to the burner? Where there many modifications that you had to make?

-willy- Image
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

Willy
I wish I knew how to put the photos in with the text.
There are plenty of 12V permanent magnet motors out there. When I built the 12 V oil burner sixteen years ago there were none on the market. Now there are three manufactures that make them for around $400.
This new boiled for my small boat I dont want to use electricity. The burner will be self priming steam atomizing. See attachment.
You did not put the photo of the economizer up on the page.
Rolly
willy

Post by willy »

Well here you go Rolly. Image Just a little cut n paste action.

The burner? Image Does the steam act as a siphon to the fuel?

-willy-
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

The mode of operation is to self generate steam with the burner so a cold boiler can be started. A pressurized tank of air over water is used. The air is used to atomize the oil till the vaporizing coils get hot enough, less then a minuet and then a three way valve is used to switch over to water. The water is vaporized to steam at the pressure in the tank about ten to fifteen Lbs. It super heated temperature is much higher though. The main problem I had was to size the coils large enough to vaporize the water. They are now 1/2" OD stainless steel and have a 3/8" metal filler in the center of the tube so the water is only on the inside skin of the tube. The other problem is the nozzle design. It has to give a cone or flat wide spread to the flame so the vaporizer tubes get hot enough to make steam. It also has to be designed to draw suction on the fuel so it can be below the burner and without a pump. I can lift the fuel three feet. The burner is designed to burn about two Gal of oil per hour. Right now I can burn up to three gallons per hour.