I'm looking for scrap metal

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Allen_from_CHT

I'm looking for scrap metal

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

Actually a box/bag of shorts and ends. Does anyone still sell this kind of stuff cheap? I'd rather not butcher up longer pieces of "useful" stock just to demonstrate the Sherline at various shows, especially if bitty pieces and left-overs are available.
Thanks guys!
Al_Messer

Re: I'm looking for scrap metal

Post by Al_Messer »

Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Allen,

There are several scrap yards locally to where I live. You would be surprised at the nice pieces you can find that people or should I say, businesses throw away. The scrap yards usually will sell this to you, at least I never had a problem, but lets face it, it will cost you a leeeetle more than they give you when you scrap it. However, still a good deal.
Example, I bought a 4x8x3/8 plate for $75. And it was flat to boot and square!!

Ron
Allen_from_CHT

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

Coles' USED to list on the back of their price sheet a bag of bits for something like $1-2 a pound it had brass, bronze, aluminum, iron, steel, round, hex, and bar all in a jumble..... But I don't think it has been on their price list for a couple years, that's why I asked.

The last time I bought it (maybe 5 years ago) I got several really good 8-9" chunks, a lot of somewhat useful stuff (if you happened to need 2-4"), and only maybe a pound of trash (too small and/or bent)

I just wondered if anyone else packages "scrap" like this?
willy

Post by willy »

No great deal there. I was looking for prices compared to my metal yard here in Maine. Your metal yard link is 4x the price I pay (before shipping).

-willy-
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

Thanks for the link-I will try them sometime when the local surplus dealers don't have the size I need- which seems to happen all the time.
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

Try this site for price.
Rolly

http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml