GEARS Exhibit in Portland Oregon

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

oheider

GEARS Exhibit in Portland Oregon

Post by oheider »

I just came back from the GEARS exhibition in Portland Oregon, even met an old friend from years ago. I am sorry that I don't have a camera, lots of nice exhibits and it was well attended. Ij even got to see and hear (ouch) an APU (small jet engine) from a helicopter in the back of a pick up. Those who live in the Northwest, if you didn't go, you missed a good show.

Otto
Orrin

Re: GEARS Exhibit in Portland Oregon

Post by Orrin »

As Otto said, it was a good show. I hope all of you in the Pacific Northwest spread the word and help support the next GEARS. It would be sad to lose this type of event in our region. NAMES and the Visalia shows are great; but, they're a long, long way from home.

One of the most incredible engines at GEARS was an Atkinson differential engine with a totally unique mechanism. It has to be seen to be believed. I was so happy to see that it won an award for its designer/builder.

Ralph Milam won *two* awards for his entries. They were very well deserved. When I saw them at his display it made my day and I went home happy that things turned out just right.

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Otto, not to lessen your experience, but from my experience, an "APU" is an Auxillery Power Unit... A small gas turbine engine often found in the tail of larger aircraft, used to power aircraft systems when the main engines aren't running...
I am not aware of APU's being used on helo's...
There are certainly small gas turbine engines that are used to power small helo's, but I'm not ware of one being called an APU...
There are also small gas turbine engines in ground carts, used to start larger gas turbine engines, known as GTC's (Gas Turbine Compressor)...
I have also seen small gas turbine engines used to power emergency generators...
And very small ones for model aircraft...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
oheider

Post by oheider »

O please lessen my experience! I have none in that area, all I know is that the fellow said it was from a heliocopter, put out approximately 100 hp and weighed about 100 pounds. Made lots of noise and would look good on my coffee table (if you have to ask then you don't understand).
Otto

Otto