Steam Log Loader

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: Steam Log Loader

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jim, After seeing how fast one of Bill Conner's beam engines steamed up, (10 minutes!) I began to wish I had used 3/8" flues in my skidder boiler, but that was about 6 years too late!! I believe the rule of thumb is that the smaller the flues, the greater the heating area since you can crowd an awful lot of them in there. Bill has his on about 1/2" spacing if I remember correctly and there is a slew of them little beggers (well over 300 in the 12" boiler) in his boilers. I will use the same arrangement on the boiler for the "Newbie" locomotive. I learned one thing about my skidder boiler, don't use wood as fuel. The creosote build up was terrible and smelled worse. With 3/8" flues, I 'spec they would plug plumb up in short order, but with propane, they are great.
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
C_Wilkes

Post by C_Wilkes »

Jesse,

Thanks very much for the picture. I am now in the process of finishing up a clishay project.(Thanks Willy!) After I finish the clishay I am going to build two skeleton log cars with a free lance truck design. I have recently finished a "home-made" type logging caboose. I hope to build a loader out of "Logging with Steam". If I can obtain the plans that is!
Cam
willy

Post by willy »

You are most welcome Cam, it is always a pleasure to help newbies get their feet wet.

I look forward to seeing pics of it when you have it running again.
By the way, that shovel originally came with my 2-6-0, yet I felt you might be able to use it since I only collected dust with it myself.

-willy-
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Cam, you are welcome to the picture posting. If you want the plans, you can part with about 40 dollars to Live Steam and get yourself a copy. I used the plans in the book, but copied them so I didn't have to get the book all grungy. Would send them to you, but they (what is left of them) are in bad shape. BTW: Over in the back of that book, you will see an article about my Falk and its little riding car. I wrote the article because many builders of the Falk were having trouble getting the tiny little boiler to generate enough steam. What I did to mine was a great improvement, but it still don't like long runs like we have at Mid-South. Best suited to home back yard tracks where it really shines.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

I added an attachment to the posting about the log loader but somehow the last line of the posting did not go through. Any'ow, there is a photo of my Falk #1 stuck onto the previous posting, if you wanna look at it.

Unka Jesse
Mikado14

Re: Steam Log Loader-Barnhardt

Post by Mikado14 »

Cam,

For what it is worth, the loader appears to be a Barnhardt log loader. It travelled from car to car on rails that were moved from car to car. I also believe, that Climax produced one and there may have been others. However, the Barnhardt was the most accepted.

If you can find it, and I no longer have my index, the "Narrow Guage and Shortline Gazette" had the prints at one time. I even remember seeing an ad for old blueprints for I had the prints for the barnhardt, built an HOn3 model in brass and then gave the prints away. Anyhow, I know they had them at one time. Give it a shot and good luck!

Ron