hand car plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: hand car plans

Post by Fred_V »

A deeper flange may help for uneven track, but on a two axel hand car that most likely will have a longer wheelbase then a truck the tip of the deeper flange is going to be trying to pick any bad joints on a curve and climb over the rail. If you increase the angle on a deeper flange that will help but then the tip gets narrower with a smaller radius which again makes it easer to pick a bad joint. Increasing the fillet radius at the tread can help keep the flange from rubbing on the rail head.

Dave

thanks Dave; didn't think of that.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

"I still like the centrfugal brake idea "

i like that too but it will be a bit involved to execute.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
CMBY RY

Post by CMBY RY »

A centrifugal brake shouldn't be that hard to make by you folks that are so adept at machining stuff!

I took an old telephone rotary dial apart and geared the innards to one axle of a Gauge 1 car.
I have to add quite a bit of weight to the car to get any sort of actual braking action...
that axle just slides along at 1/8th speed of the rest of the train but it definately provides a dynamic weight behind the Loco!

Granted, you would want something a bit bigger, but the design should not be too hard to scale up a bit.

The dial innards is just basically a "fly-ball" governor built inside a ring and the "balls" rub against the inside of the ring instead of lifting a disk against something stationary.

Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough
willy

Post by willy »

A centrifugal gocart clutch mounted on the axle with the out side diameter held stationary to the frame should do the trick.

Here is one listed at NH Northern for $26. With a 3/4" bore. The center comes apart with a simple od ring, and the weights are held in place with a long spring. Getting a softer spring would let the rotor come out at slower speeds (maybe remove spring all the way).

Willy
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

A centrifugal clutch for riding mowers, go karts, etc. might be the ticket, Fred.

Or it might not, depending upon the expected/desired maximum rpm's for the axle.

eBay item 4543935117 is an example. I've also seen versions with V-belt rather than sprocket output. In either event, fasten the output to the frame and the axle to the shaft and you have a sudden brake. Or, fasten the output to a drag pulley for a less drastic stop. The better clutches can be adjusted for engagement by purchasing springs of various strengths. Or you could grind the springs for a lighter touch.

If I were going this route I would look for a V-belt clutch and set the belt to drag around a fixed pulley when the clutch engaged.

Charles
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I shoulda read ALL the posts for today before I made mine, Willy. Charles
willy

Post by willy »

Grin, been there done it, your not the first nor the last. Fortunately we are all human.

Willy
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

thanks for all the ideas. i'm looking at a simple hand brake too but that takes several parts too.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
willy

Post by willy »

For a simple hand brake..... Place a vbelt pulley on the shaft. Take an old vbelt that has been cut making it a long rope. Attach one end of the vbelt to the frame, and the other wrap half a turn around the pulley to a rod with a hinge on the end. Then simply push (or pull) the rod to tighten the belt on the pulley.

Wullah!! A simple brake

Willy
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Good idea Willy simple and it will work. Rope? The belts on my Tiawanese Jet mill had "First Rope" printed on them!! Prolly had a poor Chinese/English dictionary and meant to say "First quality belt".

BTW: Wullah is a French word and properly spelled "Voila' ", but them Frenchies sort of pronounce it like wullah. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Trying to promote an international incident here [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

[quote]"Grin, been there done it, your not the first nor the last. Fortunately we are all human."

All humans, well I wouldn't go so far as to say that! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(I could have named names, but in the interest of Aussie/US relationships, I kept quiet [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
willy

Post by willy »

"Voila' "

Heck I thought this was a musical instrument you played like a fiddle....... Grin

Willy