Filer and Stowell

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Filer and Stowell

Post by UnkaJesse »

Brad Smith asked me to post this attachment for him of his Filer and Stowell Pemigewasset River Logging Company* loco in its bright new paint job. Brad, who lives near near Milwaukee has just finished building this F&S lokie and he is off to the NAMES show with it. He went with the full Monte so to speak and added the optional headlight, running boards, bell and diamond stack. F&S would supply these logging locos just about anyway the customer desired them and many were sold all over the Southeast, but if any survive, their whereabouts are unknown. The cylinder has no valve motion, but oscillates about a trunnion mounted beneath the pilot beam. Reversal is accomplished by using a spool valve that basically swaps the steam and exhaust ports. Look Brad up if you are at the NAMES show.

Unka(* I swear that is the way it is spelled, but I can't pronounce it)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Al_Messer

Re: Filer and Stowell

Post by Al_Messer »

A very nice looking job he's done!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Gosh, there really IS a prototype for the Mamod steam locomotive! Seriously, I'll see Brad and it in person Saturday.
corlissbs

Post by corlissbs »

Yes, Marty, there really is a prototype for the Mammod loco. They were built in the South by Dewey Brothers and used on logging operations. They had the same cylinder/trunion arrangement as the Mammod and were 0-4-0 tank engines. Filer & Stowell used a much more rugged and refined trunion/cylinder. It was the same oscillating cylinder used on their sawmill carriage engines. The F&S locos were much heavier than the Deweys and came in 0-4-0, 0-6-0, and 2-6-0 wheel arrangements, that we know of. I have photos of each arrangement. a bunch were built, but the records were thrown out of where they went. All we know is taken from the change blocks on the tender drawings that F&S sent to Jesse and the names from tender lettering in the one photo of a lettered loco.

Brad Smith
Brad E. Smith
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Marty, you can also see the "original" F&S at the MSLS meet next week as that is what I plan to bring with me. Mine is more Plain Jane as would have been purchased by some destitute logging company in the swamps of South Carolina or Louisiana. See attachment.

Unka(Mamod INDEED!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
FrancoCrosti

Post by FrancoCrosti »

Brad,

I hope you are still checking this post from 2005. I saw you said you had photos of Filer & Stowell locos. I've been conducting research on locomotive designs for 13 years and am trying to locate a photo of a 2-6-0 Filer & Stowell loco. Do you still have the photos?

Mark
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Mark,
It looks like it's been a while since Brad has posted anything (2013).
The Steaming Priest has Brad listed as a supplier with his contact info here: http://www.steamingpriest.com/suppliers-2/fittings/

Brook
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

Mark,

Brad gave me the following photos to post. It's all he has. ( We are both members of the same club so I gave him a call. He doesn't visit the board anymore.)

Mike
Attachments
2-6-0.jpg
4-4-0.jpg
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Wow! A 4-4-0 with the oscillating cylinders! That's got to be a one-of-a-kind!
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

I found a photo that I had of the 2-6-0 F & S. Very strange locomotive. This was also from Brad Smith.

Mike M.
Attachments
F&S 2-6-0.png
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Last weekend I went to the local Ganahl Lumber in Laguna Beach, CA. Most of their stores feature an giant old cast iron band saw with 8-10 foot wheels, blades 12" wide, etc. The builder's Plate said Filer & Stowell.
FrancoCrosti

Post by FrancoCrosti »

Thanks for the photos of the F&S locos. Sorry it took me a while to post back to this forum.

I believe the 2-6-0 is actually an 0-6-0. Can anyone identify the railroad or company. The tender shows "S.F. something." The people look like they could be Latin American.

Mark