SC Boiler Safety Law

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: SC Boiler Safety Law

Post by Marty_Knox »

I was one of the people who served on the hobby boiler committee here in Michigan, and have been involved with full size steam locomotives. This morning I spent several hours driving and was able to give this subject some un-interrupted thought. I have some suggestions, both for South Carolina, and the hobby throughout North America.

1. The best situation is if your jurisdiction has an exemption based on size. Several states already have such an exemption where boilers under a certain size are exempt fom inspection. In New Jersey it is 10 square feet of heating surface. In New York, if I recall correctly, it is 2 square feet of grate area. Illinois has already been mentioned. Texas has one that went into effect only a few years ago; I will double check the criteria and post them later. This is what I would try first in South Carolina.

2. Long range the hobby should develop a model boiler safety code - the question is, who will do it, and how do we get "Official" status. This will not be a quick and easy process, but is well worth doing. Not to offend anyone, but I don't feel the IBLS is the best organization for this. About 15 years ago an effort was made by "Mini-Rail" to organize Live Steamers for both a boiler code and better insurance. When was the last time you heard about Mini-Rail? I can put something in my column in Live Steam Magazine, but that has no "official" standing.

I am going to make what might seem to be a radical suggestion - I feel the National Model Railroad Association is the organization best suited to get official recognition for a Model Boiler Safety Code. We need to get Live Steamers who are already NMRA members, along with any Live Steamer willing to join the NMRA, to form a Special Interest Group and work to develop the code within the NMRA structure. This group could contact the Australian Model Boiler Code people and work with them so we wouldn't have to start from scratch. Once the code is developed, the NMRA could work with the IBLS To try and get the various jurisdictions to recognize it.
Karl_Losely

Post by Karl_Losely »

Allen:
He said the future will require code compliance, not CODE ( as in Always, Sometimes, Maybe, Except) compliance.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Marty,
The NMRA was a good idea. At this time though,I won't agree or disagree with NMRA sponsership concerning live steamer standardized boiler regulations.

I just wanted to add here that the NMRA does have a program for live steamers looking to insure their equipment. However, it comes at a small price. I did not go into a lot of details when investigating insurance for my Rutland and propane fuel car, but I was quoted ~$120 per year for $16K equipment valuation insurance. Then you have to add the $50 per year NMRA dues.

While you pay a little to protect something of larger value (after all, that's what insurance is for), I figured after 10 years I would have paid more in insurance and membership fees than the property was worth (I expect premiums will most likely go up). Just food for thought. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Allen_from_CHT

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

One can only hope that the hobby can/will find a champion with a brain, rather than just ending up with another kneejerk politician with a torte lawyer whispering in one ear and the insurance industry in the other.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Ooops, my mistake on that last post. That's what happens when you try to do math too early in the morning. Still, when you consider you can insure a $200k house for about $500/year, insuring live steam equipment at the rates proposed by NMRA seems a little high to me. Using the same dollar for dollar basis, insuring my live steam loco should be about 1/3 of what was quoted. In particular when you consider there have been few claims against or by a live steamer for liability or property loss/damage. Depending on your use though...liability coverage at any price may be worthwhile if you haul public on a continual basis. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!