Laser vs Water Jet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

xo18thfa

Laser vs Water Jet

Post by xo18thfa »

I have some tender frames, cab sides and fenders I want cut out for my latest Gauge 1 project. Nothing that requires extremely close tolerance. The material is 1/16" and 1/32" brass. What are your suggestions/experiences on laser vs water jet.

Many thanks in advance, Bob Sorenson
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
Jim_Nolan

Re: Laser vs Water Jet

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Waterjet is more expensive and is able to cut thicker material than Laser but in gauge one that is probably not a problem. The finish on the cut edge is better with water jet but for me the cost effective solution is laser cutting
www.northernsteam.com
Curtis_F

Re: Laser vs Water Jet

Post by Curtis_F »

Bob,

Shops that do Laser cutting generally don't like materials like Brass or Aluminum because of their reflective nature which prevents having a nice clean edge.

Get price quotes for both processes. If the Water-jet isn't much more expensive, or you just don't want to spend time filing off the rough edge, I'd reccomend going that direction.

Also, when shopping around for a shop that does water-Jet cutting, ask if their cutter has a gyroscopic head. It's a relatively new technology that pivots the cutting nozzel to compensate for the connical kerf normally seen when laser or water-jet cutting. At 1/16" and 1/32" it doens't mean a whole lot, but the thicker the material the more important it becomes.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops