On the workbench

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Keith

Re: On the workbench

Post by Keith »

Harold, Do you sometimes feel like a concert violinist in the midst of a bunch of bluegrass fiddle players?
Keith, From the land of Oz, although not the Wizard of.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I keep looking at the forlorn Consolidation cylinder block that's been bolted to the mill table in the same place for the last six years. In the interim, I bought a house, gutted and remodeled it to the point we could move in and made it handicapped accessible, remodeled and sold the old house, and have continued to finish the "new" house. I had a new floor poured in the garage this summer - and to pour a floor, you have to remove everything from about 350 square feet of shelf and move it into the shop and sheds. I finished reinsulating the garage and this weekend will be drywalling it. As soon as I can get the "stuff" out of the shop and sheds I can finally get the shop set up and turn on the mill.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Finding the bench under all the stuff that is piled on it.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I've been reading this posting with interest over the last few days.

As usual, Harold's right on with what he's saying. I happen to work pretty much like he does since I came through a few shops that did the kind of work he did. I happen to agree that a good machinist will make a better locomotive model due to his or her knowledge of proper procedures and the proper allowances and tolerances needed to get a smooth running model. A novice can build a good running locomotive, too, but alot of the time they will have difficulties due to inexperience. I know a man who is not a machinist who's building a 4-8-4 in 3/4 scale and he's doing a great job with it. He takes his time and asks lots of questions.

Back to the subject of the original posting; I'm not going to load too much on myself this winter.

First and foremost, I'm going to get my locomotive back on the track next spring. But, I have some other work that needs doing as well. I have that Chloe frame/running gear to finish up for a customer and a LE 0-4-0 to finish up for another customer. As well as a twin axle pump for one of Willy's friends. Plus some assorted other parts for a couple of friends of mine.

If, I have time; I'll build a "Northeast" style caboose for my train and a car or 2. I bought a pair of gondola ends from Paul Vernon at Precision Steel Car and they look really good.

We'll see how the winter goes....

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
ehulshiz

Post by ehulshiz »

That's an interesting comment about reamers. When I worked at Douglas Barrels(gun barrels) in West Virginia, round bar was first turned straight, then through drilled once, to a very specific "under" caliber, then reamed in one pass to size, ready for the button rifling operation. The black powder barrels were done similarly, but the reamed surface was the final bore size.
BTW- The barrel's bore is literally as shiny as a mirror, if the guy running the reamer does his job right.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There's a world of difference between the reamers used in guns and chucking reamers.

Finish often suffers with chucking reamers, plus they're notorious for reaming multi-sided holes. In addition, one poorly guided or off center will generally bell mouth a bore, often leaving chatter in its wake. If you've had considerable experience, such as ol' Unka Jesse, you're more likely to enjoy success, although even in the hands of a pro, reamers are a crap shoot. I believe that was his point in his comment, aside from taking a friendly jab at me for arguing against their use for cylinders. There are other more reliable methods to size holes, eliminating the potential for out of round and bell mouth. Boring comes to mind, although I understand that not everyone may have an adequate machine. In that case, one does with what's available.

Frankly, I can't help but wonder why ol' Unk violated my other rule, that of not using a spring hone-----could it be that his bore wasn't as good as he implied?

How about it Unk. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Come clean! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I have only the Bernay engine project plus a few changes to the injector feed water system on my Filer and Stowell. Been dragging my tail on the Bernay (see attachment) all summer, mostly because of general laziness.

someone wrote to Live Steam about that engine asking how does that "T" piece allow the piston rods to go straight up-n-down? is there a Scotch yoke type slider in there? the "T" cross bar ends will swing in arcs.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

project #1 Finish 1 1/2 scale 7 1/4 PS4 pacific,,need to finish cab and lagging
then build brass tender for her
Joe
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Joe,
I know someone who is contemplating a 7+ga Pacific and might like to have your thoughts on the PS4. Would you be available to have a chat with him about it?
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

I hope to learn how to better run my lathe and Bridgeport and eventually start a 4 truck Shay Logging Locomotive.

Rick
Bill Gardei ..

Post by Bill Gardei .. »

It's that time of the year, with those of us in Northern North America getting ready
to store our equipment until spring

Will:

I kind of have to disagree with you on this one. I live 70 miles from you and have no
intention of storing anything 'till spring.

You see smokers standing outside in the cold and rain to have a smoke. You see
snowmobilers and skiiers who cant wait for the white stuff to come. So why turn
tail and run. I operate my trains year-'round, even when it's so cold the rail gaps
are 3/8ths of an inch.

And yes, on your behalf, I do spend alot of time in the workshop.

Bill