Curious about a few live steam locomotives

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

3/4 - 1" engines

Post by Bill Shields »

Leonard:

Many of the 3/4" engines that you heard about are still around, however the builders are getting very old, and travel very little. Charlie Purinton, son of Carl Purinton, is now 83 and still runs either at his house or Waushakum Live Steamers, where they have, I believe a 2000' elevated track...and if you don't know how to run a little engine, you better not get on a track that long 'cause somebody is going to have to push you back.

Bill van Brocklin built dozens of engines, and periodically, one shows up for sale. He, like Charlie Purinton, built wooden tenders..so if you come across a 3/4" engine with a wooden tender of unknown origin....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/356 ... 4365KIemGD

New England is one of the few places where 3/4" is still popular..beyond that....????

Penna Live Steamers has a 1/2"- 3/4" - 1" track, but when Jim and I run there, we are often the only people running on steam on that track....almost all the traffic is 1-1/2" stuff with a few 1" running on the other loop...often, there are more radio controlled Gauge 1 engines on steam than there are 3/4"....

Personally, still think that there is a need for easy to build 3/4" engines that a beginning machinist can whack out in a year or so and have something that they can carry around and enjoy....on a modest budget.
srrl5

Re: 3/4 - 1" engines

Post by srrl5 »

Bill Shields wrote: Personally, still think that there is a need for easy to build 3/4" engines that a beginning machinist can whack out in a year or so and have something that they can carry around and enjoy....on a modest budget.
That would help keep the Live Steam part alive, too many people are just buying ready to run gas or electric locomotives. Wondering are there any less people building their own or just more buying finished locos?

David
Last edited by srrl5 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
highiron999

Post by highiron999 »

Bill, thanks for the feedback. Leonard Evans/Highiron999
Bill Shields

RTR Locos

Post by Bill Shields »

Many of the people at our club have purchased or inherited locos. The 'older' fellows that have been in it for a long time made theirs..but when they are gone..their kids / grand kids get them..and continue to run.

When I built my Hudson at age 30, I was the youngest scratch builder in the club...and that was 22 years ago. Now, I am finishing another loco, and there are, I believe, only 2 others in the club building right now...the rest are buying / running whatever.

Too many people don't know one end of a screwdriver from another these days...or don't think they have the time or $$$ to learn to build one...and maybe don't want to have to invest in a trailer / giant SUV to get to / from the track.

I am rather ambivalent about 'non-steam' power...ANYTHING that gets people to the club is a plus. Anything that gets people interested in railroading is also a plus..and if it is a lawnmower engine on steel wheels, and that is what people enjoy, then that is good...it's not my bag, but I like pistachio ice cream...you probably don't....

Heck, we even have one fellow that has been a member for 35+ years and ONLY has hand-cars. He is a good worker, supports the club in every way possible...but his abilities are directed toward beautiful handcars..and you know what? He can put practically anyone on one and send them around the track to have fun...which is what it is all about.
UnkaJesse

Re: RTR Locos

Post by UnkaJesse »

Bill Shields wrote:I am rather ambivalent about 'non-steam' power...ANYTHING that gets people to the club is a plus. Anything that gets people interested in railroading is also a plus..and if it is a lawnmower engine on steel wheels, and that is what people enjoy, then that is good...it's not my bag, but I like pistachio ice cream...you probably don't.....
Bill, exactly what you describe showed up at MSLS one time a few years ago. It was basically a push type lawnmower with vertical engine and no handlebars. Engineer sat on a seat atop the engine. Right odd looking, but the guy had fun and that is what it is all about as you said.

Unka(Don't know what happened to the thing so don't ask)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
srrl5

Lawn mowers

Post by srrl5 »

As a joke 30 some years ago a few of us at LALS took a self propeled lawn mower and put train wheels on and drove it off the self propeled sproket. The first test was a little to fast at about Warp 3. We did put a coupler on so you could ride behind on a car.

David
summoner12

Re: Curious about a few live steam locomotives

Post by summoner12 »

About the Floyd Epperson Big Boy.

I was doing some research to find out some information about where it was built, when the project started and when it was completed. So I found this post and thought I'd share what information I have about it's current location etc.

#4026 is located at Riverside Live Steamers. It runs a couple times a year and was out running on October 13th. I shot a video of the engine running and posted it on the RLS YouTube channel. I regrettably didn't have my microphone on so I used filler music. I was pretty upset about my mistake because I had asked Rich to give me a show with the whistle, it's awesome sounding! The next time It's running I'll be sure to shoot more video and that mic will be on!

Rich Casford is the engineer.

Video:
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Jim Robison's Santa Fe 4-8-4 was sold to Doug Chancy after Jim's passing. Jim had a heart attack while driving home from Bittercreek. If my memory is correct, Jim lived in Texas. Doug owned the Bittercreek Western in the early days. Doug and Jim were pretty good friends, both being Texans and all. Joe Hays, a long time Los Angeles Live Steamers member used to frequent Bittercreek, and he ended up buying the engine from Doug. As far as I know he never ran it, but still has it. There was reason he never ran it. The engine was a juggernaught, the power reverse was broken and there was only forward, there were also no brakes... Jim would fire up the engine and go ripping around the track once or twice and then put it away. Jim was a, real character and a very likable person. Jim was a true artist, but not necessarily the best machinist. Proportionally the engine was magnificent. But if you looked close...The darn thing was mostly zapped together with an arc welder. But like I said Jim was and artist, proportionally the engine was spot on. I feel very fortunate to have known quite a few wonderful characters in our live steam bunch over the years.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

I'll probably start a separate thread on this one, but I have a 1" scale D&RGW M-64 class 4-8-4 that was built by Jerry Cutshall, one time master machinist for the D&RGW in their Burnham Shops in Denver, CO. Great little engine. Bronze cylinder castings. I believe he made patterns for and cast the cylinders and drivers and possibly a few other parts as well. Have yet to test the boiler. want to get the running gear running on air first.

Rob Gardner
Attachments
IMG_20191102_140158644.jpg
IMG_20191211_200238239.jpg
IMG_20191214_150104605.jpg
1712 1 in Scale Cab Letters Numbers.jpg
cwood1218

Post by cwood1218 »

update on Dave Boyd's Big Boy, I purchased it from Dick Parker and it is now in Michigan and work have been started to get it running. So far the rear engine runs on air but the #1 driver has a quartering problem hope to have a steam test in 2024.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The LE Pacific built by Floyd Epperson and owned for many years by Pat Durand was sold two or three years ago and I believe it now resides in the Las Vegas area. It needed a boiler overhaul when it was sold.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Speaking of locating locomotives from the past, does anyone know what happened to the 10-Wheeler built by Dan or Paul Kulp from PA? It was the first live steam sized loco I was exposed to. Thats my great uncle Spence Stoughton at the throttle and I am sitting in the lap of the lady with the red sleeves in the yellow gondola. 1976 maybe. Was a portable track setup they had with a caboose shaped trailer to haul the train! Was at a local church in Fort Washington PA if I have my facts right.
Rydal Valley I think was the road name?
IMG_3083_1.jpg
IMG_3083_1.jpg (163.16 KiB) Viewed 1161 times