What ever happen to...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

greenwind

What ever happen to...

Post by greenwind »

What ever happen to Railway Hardware Company of Houston, Texas?
Supplier of 1-1/2" scale hardware and fittings for rolling stock.
Late 70's-80's
Greenwind
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

They probably rode off into the sunset, like 90% of small live steam mfgs. If you go back (as I did not long ago) and look through Live Steam Magazines from the 1960's and on, at least 90% of the advertisers are no longer around. As often as not it just wasn't worth it, the return on investement (profit), particularly the investment in time required, did not justify continuing to do business.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
steampipe1

Re: What ever happen to...

Post by steampipe1 »

greenwind wrote:What ever happen to Railway Hardware Company of Houston, Texas?
Supplier of 1-1/2" scale hardware and fittings for rolling stock.
Late 70's-80's
Jim Jackson, owner of RHC pass away I believe 2 years ago of congestive heart failure. He was an active member of the Houston Club. I got to know him only by phone during my purchase of 4 of his wonderful wood cars. I have since aquired 2 more and now have 6 cars that are my pride and joy and I hope to be bring to Train Mountain. I did obtain some spare parts from him with a subsiquent stock car kit. Jim was a gracious and patiant gentleman with me as I was at that time a green newbie to the hobby.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Another supplier that left a void when he left.

It looked to me like a few of his items were marketed by Power Model Supply after he close up shop. I don't know if they manufactured them or just had some of his stock.

(For those who don't of RHC.) Most of his line was white metal detail parts. Simulated brake pieces like triple valves, air tanks, glad hands; reefer hinges, and ogee washers. It looked to me like he used one of the early Carbuilder's Dictionaries as his inspiration.

I have several of his drawings for car parts. They were for nice looking wooden flat cars and gons made from dimensional lumber and with lots of nice white metal detail parts. Some day I'll have to finish the couple of frames that I started many years ago.

I never met him, but have a couple of letters where he responded to my questions.

Steampipe - were there stock car drawings?
Rwilliams

Railway Hardware at Power Model Supply

Post by Rwilliams »

I had the chance to visit Power Model Supply a couple of years before the explosive demise of this wonderful supplier to the hobby. I must have spent well over an hour roaming the many different sections of the business. In one small area I noticed some packaged items which appeared to be old stock left over from the Railway Hardware business. The quality was top notch and the price was reasonable.

Fred told me he had purchased the remaining stock and when it sold out that would be the end as he had no plans to manufacture more of those items.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Extensive information on Railway Hardware Company can be found here, including drawings:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... re_Company

Happy steaming!
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
chooch

Post by chooch »

Speaking of Wooden cars. If interested, you might look at this site. http://jsrailcar.com/ Scott Linsay makes some great looking wooden freight and caboose cars with "Scribed" siding. I have bought a couple body`s only and added my own details (nice but not to scale etc.) Some Painted cars look beautiful to me, one guy has been running the wheels off his Rail truck for a few years.
Scotts detail Reefer detail parts are not so good but do serve the purpose. I think Scott makes some old time passenger cars too (if I go back to look I`ll lose this) Prices seem pretty reasonable also.
I only have been a customer of Scott, no other interests. Give his site a look. http://jsrailcar.com/
chooch
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

As a side note for a source for some parts

I recently bought out Railroad Warehouse's Detail parts, so I now have over 50 new parts and accessories, from 6 different brake wheels, to Ajax housings, to old time brake ratchets, to angle cocks and glad hands, clevisis, water glasses, head lights, 12 different hand rail stanchions, bells, front and top, cut lever brackets, grab irons and grab handles , 4 different size door dogs, car hinges both dummy and working tender hatch hinges the westinghouse brake stand castings and more...we are currently inventory counting, shooting waxes and cataloging it all to post

Mike
Little Engines
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Highiron wrote:As a side note for a source for some parts

I recently bought out Railroad Warehouse's Detail parts, so I now have over 50 new parts and accessories, from 6 different brake wheels, to Ajax housings, to old time brake ratchets, to angle cocks and glad hands, clevisis, water glasses, head lights, 12 different hand rail stanchions, bells, front and top, cut lever brackets, grab irons and grab handles , 4 different size door dogs, car hinges both dummy and working tender hatch hinges the westinghouse brake stand castings and more...we are currently inventory counting, shooting waxes and cataloging it all to post

Mike
Little Engines
I am relieved to hear that you acquired this RR Warehouse items! Lots of quality parts, and history! I've been watching the sale of his products, wondering where they ended up.

On that note, do you happen to know who purchased the 90-ton 2-8-2 product line? I'm still building my version of that loco (pic attached), and would like to know if parts and pieces might remain available.
Thanks.
~Russ
PuyRRShow14-1(small).jpg
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Russ

No I am sorry I do not

NP317 wrote:
Highiron wrote:As a side note for a source for some parts

Mike
Little Engines
I am relieved to hear that you acquired this RR Warehouse items! Lots of quality parts, and history! I've been watching the sale of his products, wondering where they ended up.

On that note, do you happen to know who purchased the 90-ton 2-8-2 product line? I'm still building my version of that loco (pic attached), and would like to know if parts and pieces might remain available.
Thanks.
~Russ
PuyRRShow14-1(small).jpg