Working Stoker

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SZuiderveen

Stoker

Post by SZuiderveen »

Andy,

My hardwood pellet stove in the basement has a perfect fine working stoker, which drops the pellets on a cast iron firing plate. All it is missing is five steam jets and a few diversion vanes. . . . .

Steve
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Wouldn't an auger bit that is designed to move earth better for moving coal than one for drilling wood? I'm thinking of something like this:
http://www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catalog. ... &item=1581
Dan W.
MoeC

Stokers

Post by MoeC »

Andy mentioned pellet stove fuel for stokers. I tried using pellets for stoves once in my Mogul and the smell and bad fumes almost caused me to pass out so I got rid of those pellets in a hurry. MoeC
Andypullen

pellets...

Post by Andypullen »

Moe,

I didn't mention pellets. SteveZ did. It's NOT something I would use for fuel.

Steve,

A firing table wouldn't be too hard to make with today's cnc machines, but it sure would use alot of steam....The originals were usually cast steel.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Moe, I wonder what they were adding to the pellets that gave them a bad odor? I watched some being made at a place near here. They were using pulverized wood waste as feed stock and didn't add anything to the material. Moisture content was pretty critical as I remember it.

Unka(My rememberer doesn't always work too well these days)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
srrl5

pellets with a bad odor?

Post by srrl5 »

UnkaJesse wrote:Moe, I wonder what they were adding to the pellets that gave them a bad odor? I watched some being made at a place near here. They were using pulverized wood waste as feed stock and didn't add anything to the material. Moisture content was pretty critical as I remember it.

Unka(My rememberer doesn't always work too well these days)Jesse
If its a wood product it can't smell bad. :) But then I used to burn wood in my loco, now its the only way I have to stay warm in the Winter.

David
Bill Shields

Bad Smelling Wood

Post by Bill Shields »

Ever burned wood soaked in cat urine?

Enough to make you turn diesel (almost).....
srrl5

Re: Bad Smelling Wood

Post by srrl5 »

Bill Shields wrote:Ever burned wood soaked in cat urine?

Not in the Loco. but old decking with both cat and dog in the wood stove, thank goodness it is vented outside.

David
Tel

Post by Tel »

Smells even worse if you use the whole cat.

When I was on the railway, all those years ago, our old ganger's favourite way of gettin' us back to work was to pee on a shovel & hold it over the fire
Tel
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Bill all the cats I have ever had had the decency to bury any messes they made.
Attachments
Cat lying down.gif
Cat lying down.gif (5.49 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
Bill Shields

OK..you brought it up

Post by Bill Shields »

When living in Saudi, one of the major problems we had was keeping tools in the trucks. The locals in the crew would help themselves to anything that wasn't nailed down. If the tool was personal (purchased by one of the men), it would NOT be touched..but if it was purchased by the company, it was fair game...something about Allah giving the oil, that provided the money to purchase the tools, therefore, the tools were given by Allah and...well you can follow the twisted logic.

Anyway, one day, in the middle of a truck / tool / safety inspection, one of the American crew leaders, opened up every drawer in every tool box on his truck and proceeded to urinate all over EVERYTHING in sight.

NONE of the locals EVER touched one of his tools ever again....

And Jesse:

We have 7 cats, a couple of which have decided that they like to mess wherever they please and never clean it up...hase to do with not liking the other cats in the house...and something to do with getting old....(the cats, not you)....
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Bill couldn't the guy just wipe down all his tools with hog lard? That would have stopped them just as well.

Now for a story from my railroading days that some of you have heard before. One of the machinists on the night shift always brought a nice big thermos filled with coffee. At supper time the forman came out to join the crew and invariably helped himself to the big thermos. Guy got tired of it and one day his thermos got broken so he bought another one just like it. Brought both to the next work day, but hid the broken one. After the foreman had drunk his fill and everyone was getting back to work, the guy swapped the hidden broken thermos with the good one. He then turned it upside down and said that since it was empty, he might as well rinse it out so he proceeded to "water" the thermos pretty well and poured out the urine. For some reason the foreman never did bother his thermos again. :lol:

Unka(No Tel, it wasn't me, I don't drink coffee)Jesse