Where to buy steel track or steel rail?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

emchd

Where to buy steel track or steel rail?

Post by emchd »

Hello...
I am considering building an old steam powered sawmill for fun. Its based on the old Frick designs and these had what look like small train rail mounted on the husk base to move the log carriage back and forth.

Where do you train guys buy your steel rail? What are the sizes of rail you normally work with? I will need a bout 80 to 100 feet of steel rail in all.

Thanks
D.Emch
Fred_V

Re: Where to buy steel track or steel rail?

Post by Fred_V »

probably 12 to 20 pound per yard rail would do the job. these are used for 15" and 2ft. ga. railroads. don't know where to get it.
fred v
emchd wrote:Hello...
I am considering building an old steam powered sawmill for fun. Its based on the old Frick designs and these had what look like small train rail mounted on the husk base to move the log carriage back and forth.

Where do you train guys buy your steel rail? What are the sizes of rail you normally work with? I will need a bout 80 to 100 feet of steel rail in all.

Thanks
D.Emch
tomc

rail

Post by tomc »

What scale r u talking about? Full size or smaller, that will make a difference on what size rail to suggest and where to get it. :?:
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
emchd

Re: rail

Post by emchd »

tomc wrote:What scale r u talking about? Full size or smaller, that will make a difference on what size rail to suggest and where to get it. :?:
Right now I am thinking smaller gage. Somthing like that used for old antque mine carts or the smaller scale rails. If the rail has a height of about 1.5 to 2 inches or so, that should work just fine. But it should be durable because of the back and forth wear this will get.
Harold_V

Re: rail

Post by Harold_V »

emchd wrote:Somthing like that used for old antque mine carts or the smaller scale rails. If the rail has a height of about 1.5 to 2 inches or so, that should work just fine.
Check your yellow pages for used equipment dealers. If there has been any mining in your area, it's possible they could have used rail and mine cars, although my thinking may be somewhat outdated now that 30 years have passed since I saw such things in Utah.

Harold
bcody

20 Pound Rail

Post by bcody »

If 20 pound rail is adequate for your needs check with kirklandhobbies@knology.net. The are advertising 1200 feet of 20 pound rail plus a switch or two for sale. Bill
tomc

rail

Post by tomc »

I still am not sure of what size u want. 12# is available from steel dealers. Tom Miller has steel rail available. Go to
www.discoverlivesteam.com and place a want add.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!

Post by Guest »

you only need rail for 1 side the other rides on an inverter angle iron with a V wheel to insure location. Check the sawmill at my site. We use full size rail I believe on the 1 side.

www.hesstonvolunteers.com

Websites under changes but it may help. I can take a bunch of pictures next weekend if you want.

mikell
emchd

Post by emchd »

Anonymous wrote:you only need rail for 1 side the other rides on an inverter angle iron with a V wheel to insure location. Check the sawmill at my site. We use full size rail I believe on the 1 side.

www.hesstonvolunteers.com

Websites under changes but it may help. I can take a bunch of pictures next weekend if you want.

mikell
HOLLY COW!!! What a website! What a place! This is s toy store for big boys. To bad you guys scraped two of those three steam cranes as I could certainly use one these days.

I didnt find any detailed photos on your saw mill however. The text states that its a curtis, and curtis was one of the makers of circ saw mills. I think I may have laid my fingers onto some curtis documentation so isnt that ironic.

It must be a total barrel of monkeys getting these vintage steamers running....
emchd

Curtis Photos

Post by emchd »

I would very much apreciate any further photos on your curtis sawmill. Would it be possible to also post three descriptive photos of your sawmill on the Old Woodworking Machine Site at www.owwm.com under the curtis machinery heading? Currently we have no examples in the wild of this machine your example is fantastic. We also would love to awknowledge the source of the photos as well as your local for turist purposes if that is O.K.
mikell

Post by mikell »

I'll get some pictures this weekend. Any part in particular you would like to see.

mikell
emchd

Post by emchd »

mikell wrote:I'll get some pictures this weekend. Any part in particular you would like to see.

mikell
Thanks. A nice overall shot showing the beastie. Nice to get the curtis name. Then a good shot of the carriage, the headblocks and the set works. And one of the blade drive system. Once again, thanks.