Hunting for Hudsons (Yankee Shop in 3/4" Scale)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

Hudsons

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here are some pictures for you guys to per-ooze.
The first one is an add that ran in the mag showing Claude Cox's Hudson. I wonder where it is today?
The Oregon Route hudson is a 3/4" model built by Franklin W. Ryder. He is shown with his wife Gracie. The article, from the Minature Locomotive, said that he bought the castings for the engine from Lang Wartley. I think he meant Langworthy.
Bruce Hoffman's Hudson was one of two or three, depending on who you ask, being built together by Al Roedding, Gord Douglas and supposidly Dave Jarvis. Bruce and his dad Carl got Al's Hudson, and was just sold lately. Gord's is supposidly still in the basement of the house. Gord is gone but his son is looking after the estate. Dave Jarvis is MIA.
There is also a 3/4" hudson built by a man named Forrester from the Dunville Ont area and was sold at auction about 10 years ago to some old timer. I am not sure but it could be the one that is presently sitting in the Waterford Ont local museum.
I have a Hoffman Hudson with what my chum describes as the ugly bathtub streamlining. After him telling me that, I only run it when the club has a night run. Lot harder to see the flaws when it is dark.
Attachments
39.jpg
39.jpg
47.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

In addition to the above, back in the 1930's a very nice NYC Hudson was built by Harry Fisher of Belleville, New Jersey.
Mr. Fisher advertised castings and drawings for this model for about ten years, as advertised in the Modelmaker Magazine. I know of at least three models built from these castings. The attached file shows Harry Fisher's personal model while it was owned by George Murray of Manchester, Connecticut, back in the 1960's.
Keith
rwmorris

Maybe there was one more????

Post by rwmorris »

Hey Guys,

I just got a hold of a set of drawings that are dated December of 1934 and they are by a "W. P. Levon"? A very nice 3/4" NYC Hudson design. This engine lacks a fully equalized spring rigging and also has a screw type reverse system.... Very much along British Lines.... Does this engine ring a bell to anyone?

Thanks,

Robert M.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Robert,

As far as I know, that is what was incorporated into the Frank Birch/Carl Hoffman Hudson design. The name W.P. Levon appears on some, but not all, of the Hoffman prints. The date on one of the Hoffman prints with the W.P.Levon name is 1954 (updated?) on my set of drawings.

The Hoffman design does have a screw reverser and there are compression type control springs with long studs tapped into the axleboxes drilled through the pedestal binders as per British live steam locomotive practice. There is no equalization or leaf springs as per American practice.

There are a couple of photos of a Carl Hoffman Hudson (one stationary, one running) in the 1970's TSME historic photos, the builder being Chet Brown.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Does the screw reverser look like this?
Attachments
Hoffman Hudson Screw Reverser.JPG
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Yep that looks correct.... I am sorry that I missed some of your notes on the first page where you mentioned Mr. Levon's name on the prints.... Mystery solved.... Same engine earlier date on the drawings.

Thanks,

Robert M.