Union Pacific Big Boy in 3/4 Inch Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RET

Re: Union Pacific Big Boy in 3/4 Inch Scale

Post by RET »

Hi Everyone,

I've finished the clamps for the vise and am using it, but I'm still working on the top feed. In the meantime, I thought you might like to see a few pictures of Gerhardt, the original builder and his locomotive.
This is a picture of Gerhardt at the Blue Water Model Engineers meeting. Big Boy is still at an early stage of construction, but still impressive.
This is a picture of Gerhardt at the Blue Water Model Engineers meeting. Big Boy is still at an early stage of construction, but still impressive.
Rear Big Boy chassis at an early stage of construction.
Rear Big Boy chassis at an early stage of construction.
Front Big Boy chassis.
Front Big Boy chassis.
Gerhardt started working on Big Boy about 1994. It would be about 1996 when these pictures were taken. Gerhardt last worked on Big Boy in the spring of 2004. Mike Greene was a member of the Blue Water club back then and he took these pictures. He is now a member of TSME and he has been kind enough to pass the pictures on to me as he runs across them. Many thanks Mike. It is always nice to know more about the history of this Big Boy. I have more of Mike's pictures which I will add at a later date.

Richard Trounce.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

Here is the completed top feed assembly. In the first simple design, I was planning to have check valves further back in the stainless feed piping, but later, after I made the first version, I decided it would be better for practical reasons if the check valves were incorporated in the top feed assembly itself. This way they would be out of sight and I wouldn't have to try to make them blend in. This necessitated a complete redesign to make sure that the assembly would fit in the space that was available inside the front sand dome. This is where the boiler feed is on the real Big Boys in a space in the center of the dome, just smaller than what I made.
This shows the complete assembly with one cap in place.
This shows the complete assembly with one cap in place.
This shows one of the two caps for the check valves.
This shows one of the two caps for the check valves.
This is a closer view of the assembly body.
This is a closer view of the assembly body.
In the pictures, the top feed assembly includes the tube fittings for the end of the boiler feed supply tubes on each end of the assembly. Those fittings will be silver soldered onto the ends of the short pieces of stainless tubing that will run under the cladding to the underside of the catwalk where they will join onto longer tubes running under the catwalk to the axle pump / hand pump on one side and an injector (probably one of Anthony Duarte's) on the other. I find if I make my own tube fittings, I can go down a pipe size with the fitting without reducing the bore of the fitting. While still not completely to scale, this makes for a "cleaner" look which is more in keeping with the desired appearance. With the CNC mill it is easy to cut a "racetrack" recess for an "O" ring in the check valve caps. I like using "O" rings for sealing. They are simple to use and work very well. The pin in the center stops the ball check from traveling too far.

Just another small step in a long road.

Richard Trounce.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

Here are three more pictures of the completed top feed. The ball checks are 9/32" stainless steel balls that seat on viton "O" rings. The copper colour comes from the silver soldering. The body and cover plates are actually made from bronze.
Top Feed with both check valve covers in place
Top Feed with both check valve covers in place
Underside of top feed block showing "O" ring groove to seal to boiler
Underside of top feed block showing "O" ring groove to seal to boiler
Top feed in place on top of boiler
Top feed in place on top of boiler
I still have to make a "cladding stretcher" to stretch the cladding out more so the boiler feed piping can be installed under the cladding. That part will be a short run of tubing to take the feed below the catwalk. As you can see from the pictures, the tubing won't fit as it is. Yes, I could bring the feed in above the catwalk and it would be easier, But it will look much better the way I plan to do it. The brownish angled line in the lower left part of the final picture is a reflection from somewhere. Yes, the sand dome will fit over it all. I drew it all up in CAD to check clearances and to finalize the design before I made anything.

Richard Trounce.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while. I made the "cladding stretcher" but it didn't work quite the way I wanted it to. Yes it stretched the cladding out, but it also pushed in the cladding parts it pushed against which wasn't what I really wanted. I just needed outward bulges.
This picture shows machining the matching arc into the block additions
This picture shows machining the matching arc into the block additions
After reflection, I decided I needed to greatly increase the contact area of the pusher on the cladding, so I added aluminum blocks on the ends of the pusher. This first picture shows the machining setup on the Bridgeport.
Closeup showing the "original" cladding stretcher.
Closeup showing the "original" cladding stretcher.
In the center part of the above picture, you can see the size of the original "cladding stretcher" which didn't really have enough bearing area on the cladding to work properly. This setup is cutting the matching curvature into the added aluminum blocks so the bearing area will be greatly increased. The setup works, but it throws chips all over!

I'll have to see if the revised fixture does the job.

Richard Trounce.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

The revised cladding stretcher "kinda" works, I found it took a lot more force to deform the cladding than I thought. I had to make a heavier "hook" or "cladding puller" to go on the inside of the cladding and with those changes, the bulges for the piping were made bigger, but still on the small side.

I'm still working on the top feed piping, but progress is slow. I tried to silver solder a piece of properly bent stainless steel tube to the short fittings I'd made (with captive nuts) but the fitting was too short and the silver solder ran and soldered the nut too. I'm remaking the fittings and nuts and I've successfully silver soldered one. Success comes a bit at a time.

In the mean time, I thought I'd show a few more pictures of Gerhardt showing his progress with Big Boy. These were taken by Mike Greene at one of the Blue Water club meetings near Sarnia. The first one shows the smokebox mounted on the front chassis with the smokebox door open.
Smokebox-1a.jpg
Smokebox-1a.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Note the petticoat piping detail as well as all the steam supply piping swivel joints that were necessary to allow the front chassis to swing back and forth. At this stage, it hasn't been made yet, but you can see the connections where the exhaust swivel joint piping will attach to both the cylinders and the front exhaust connection to the smokebox. By the way, this connection also requires a telescoping sleeve to accommodate the length changes as the front chassis moves back and forth.
Smokebox-2a.jpg
Smokebox-2a.jpg (106.88 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
As you can see, Gerhardt made this model as an exact copy of the real thing wherever possible, only deviating when necessary to make a model that would work properly. As I work on it, more and more I feel that Don & I were very lucky to acquire this model and to be able to continue adding to it.

The next pictures show the model at a later stage in its construction when Gerhardt displayed it at an exhibition of hobby work of all kinds somewhere in the Sarnia area.
Model Exhibition in Sarnia-1
Model Exhibition in Sarnia-1
Gerhard's Big Boy-1a.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
The first picture shows someone looking at the Big Boy model.
Sarnia model exhibition of Gerhardt's Big Boy
Sarnia model exhibition of Gerhardt's Big Boy
Gerhard's Big Boy-2a.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
The next shows the Big Boy model itself. Even at this stage, look at all the detail that Gerhardt has put into it with lots more still to be added.
Gerhardt at the Sarnia model exhibition
Gerhardt at the Sarnia model exhibition
Gerhardt-2a.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
This final picture shows Gerhardt relaxing at the exhibition. In this picture he seems older than he looked in the Blue Water meeting pictures.

Because of the long distances Union Pacific trains had to cover, Big Boys were designed to have a top speed of ninety miles an hour which is high for freight service, especially in the 40's & 50's when they were running.

I've always been interested in steam Locomotives, probably because Dad worked on Canadian National Railways as a brakeman on passenger service between Toronto and Montreal. They used Northerns (4-8-4) on that service and when I was going to university, I rode between Toronto and Belleville where my parents lived. Around Oshawa, there is a stretch where the track parallels 401 (a 4 lane, divided highway like all the 400 series highways in Ontario) and you knew that the traffic on 401 was doing between 70 & 80 miles an hour. Even at that traffic speed, the train was easily walking away from the traffic which meant that it had to be travelling at least 90 miles an hour. The Northerns were easily able to do this speed and would hit a hundred when going through the valleys.

At that time they were using the big, heavy steel coaches with 6 wheel trucks. These coaches rode very smoothly, but you could always tell when you were close to 100 miles an hour because the coach would start to bounce up and down a bit. Its nice to remember those days. Now the passenger trains go even faster on that run.

Hope people find this interesting.

Richard Trounce.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

I'd like to add just a little bit more from my memory of the "Good old Days."

Back in the 50's Canadian National had two fast passenger trains that operated a daily service between Toronto and Montreal; number 6 that ran Eastbound from Toronto and number 15 that ran Westbound between Montreal and Toronto.

Number 6 would leave Toronto at around 4:00 in the afternoon (both 6 and 15 had dining cars as part of the train). Number 6 made two intermediate stops, the first was Belleville (about 115 miles from Toronto), and the second was Brockville where part of the train would be detached to go to Ottawa while the rest carried on to Montreal. Number 15 trains would leave Montreal and Ottawa at the same time (around 4:00 pm) travelling in a westbound direction and making the same stops (Brockville and Belleville).

Both trains would be pulled by Northerns, and each locomotive could handle up to 17 of the heavy 6 wheeled truck coaches while travelling between 90 and 100 miles per hour (NOT kms).

On holidays, there could be as many as 3 "sections" or trains running on the same timetable, with each section about 5 minutes behind the one in front of it. If there were white flags on either side of the smokestack, that meant there was another train behind. Obviously, the last section had no white flags. If you were standing on the station platform at either Belleville, or Brockville, one section would pull out and 5 minutes later, the next section would pull into the station. On holidays when there was more than one section, one of the sections would be reserved for the Ottawa passengers.

Remember, this was in the days before there was any radio communication between the dispatcher and the train crews, but there were never any accidents, they just made it work, no matter what the weather!

I know all this because I used to ride these trains when I went home from Toronto to Belleville once a month for the week end.

As I said in the previous post, I hope people find this bit of history interesting, not boring.

Richard Trounce.