N&W 611. CLASS J. STEAM LOCOMOTIVE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hudson

N&W 611. CLASS J. STEAM LOCOMOTIVE

Post by hudson »

There is a pdf file about N&W 611 and sisters, 22 pages, on

http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communiti ... s/5609.pdf

Nice reading

hudson
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Thanks for posting that, reading it right now...

Andrew
jrevans

What a beautiful machine

Post by jrevans »

Wow, I almost forget what I beautiful machine the 611 is. I didn't realize that Timken engineered the running gear. Interesting info.

I hope that she runs again someday, since I foolishly missed the other excursions before she went cold.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thanks for posting it, Hudson.

I can attest to how well she runs, since I worked on her for a couple of years before the excursion program was shut down.

I wouldn't count on 611 or 1218 being put back on the road anytime soon. The railroad's management didn't see the viability of running excursions anymore for a number of reasons. Besides, all the shop equipment was sold at auction on March 2, 1995.

We'll have to be content with videos and memories. :cry:

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Maybe Union Pacific will buy the NS, Andy. Then, maybe they will bring 1218 and 611 back to life and run eastern as well as western excursion schedules. Wistful thinking... Charles
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I was very lucky to be assigned to a small naval base in the late 50's, and I had most weekends free. With my Nikon S1 and my Bolex H16R, I would be out following the N&W. Shot about 400 slides and 1800 feet of 16 mm, that one of these days I want to convert to digital. I even have a letter the N&W gave me that granted me permission to be on their property. It's almost identical to the one Link was given. Who the hell would want to spend time in the Officers Club when they could be out on the N&W, not me!

If you are interested in the N&W checkout: http://www.nwhs.org/

Their latest issue of the "Arrow" has a great article on the "J" versus the PRR "T-1".
Attachments
dscn3157_1_540-resized.jpg
dscn3157_1_540-resized.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 8239 times
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

The above photo shows the Lambert's Point TT in 1957, here is my copy of it I just completed. It is 14 feet long and about 700 pounds. It's all MIG welded, but has about 7000 rivets for appearance.
Attachments
dscn9522_407-resized.jpg
dscn9522_407-resized.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
highiron999

Post by highiron999 »

Ronald;

That is inspirational. Seeing that nice turntable makes me want to do likewise. Thanks for sharing the original picture.

Leonard Evans/highiron999
Rob Gardner

Nice TT

Post by Rob Gardner »

Ronald,

So what will be riding this beautiful turntable? Maybe a J?

Rob Gardner
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Even though I used the N&W turntable as a prototype, this type of turntable was used by many railroads.

It may seem odd, but the locomotive I'm working on now is a C&NW H-1. I have erection and detail drawings for the N&W J, and the H-1, but I decided to go with the H-1, because it is more traditional looking, and less copied as a model. I have a boiler coming this spring, even though I'm a long way from mounting it. The opportunity was there, so I had the boiler made.

I was in a position to make many kinds of castings, so over the years, I produced wheels, trucks, tender parts, and etc. for both locomotives. I think it was the famous architect Daniel Burnham who said, "Make no small plans.............".

I will post some photos this spring, when we will have some locomotive on the table. Right now the table is under 12" of snow.

When you do so, please reduce the file size so it's more reader friendly. Large file size pictures take too long to download for those of us that have dialup connections, and it ends up costing the board readership. Very nice quality of pictures, adequate for our purpose here, can be posted reduced as low as 25 kb. Your pixel width, which affects text spread, is very good. I thank you for that. It's best kept @ 700 pixels in width, and spreads text above 800 (for those of us that view @ 1024 x 768). Thanks!

Harold
Attachments
dscn9686_811-resized.jpg
dscn9686_811-resized.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Whatever happened to Southern Railway's Mikado 4501? Was it made into a static display or scrapped? Also, were any of their PS-4's preserved?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

As far as I know, it's sitting on a track next to the Tennessee Valley RR Shops in Chattanooga. Got a roof over it.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it