Cylinder

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Cylinder

Post by UnkaJesse »

Well, Igor and I finally got one of on the cylinders bored out for our 7-1/2" gauge locomotive for the Newbie. It was sort of taxing to get the thing under the spindle of my Jet Mill 9" x 36", but with the aid of a few well placed sledge hammer blows, we got it lined up where we could do the boring. The attachment shows "Igor" standing with the cylinder. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (who wouldn't ever pull your leg) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
dampfwilli

Re: Cylinder

Post by dampfwilli »

Jesse, thats the right spare part for the engine at the attachment pic.
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

dampfwilli, that cute little steam engine one of yours? It is "cute as a bug's ear) as my mother used to say, but I am afraid it would get lost in one of the sand pits in the cylinder in my post! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Actually, I am beginning to worry if the tracks and especially the bridges at Mid-South will support my locomotive when I get it finished. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img] After all, that was only ONE of the cylinders and it is a twin cylinder engine! Maybe if the club could be talked into putting in a double track main line, I could put extra wheels under the locomotive to run on both tracks at the same time to support the weight? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

BTW: The picture is of the low pressure cylinder is of a Vilter compound Corliss engine. I don't know about the large crosshead as there was no explaination of what it went on. Pics came from 1921 Audel's Engineers and Mechanics Manual.

Unka ( I like them big) Jesse
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

Its not one of my engines. The maker of this engines has many engines in the GuinessBook. Her startet with a engine in a nutshell, the next was in the shell of a hazelnut and.... The last was seven engines in a thimble. For me its a little bit big ger better. With my engines and my fingers i cant make so small things.
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What kind of work do you expect to get out of the puny little cylinder? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Harold [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Harold, actually, as I said back up there, the "Newbie" locomotive is a twin cylinder oscillating type. I am "kinda" worried too that the oscillations of the cylinders might throw the train off the track. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I posted that picture and the one of the humongous crosshead so everyone could see "how things were in the good old days". Can you imagine the size boring mill it took to work on that sucker?? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] Can you imagine what would happen to the poor machinist who accidently scrapped the cylinder? He would probably still be swinging from a rope in a dark corner of the shop! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (glad I was born too late to work on that puppy) Jesse
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Talking about size of things, I recall being re-assigned from one shop to another early in my machining days. The filter division of Eimco in Utah had a 24' VTL. Damned thing had its own zip code!

I'm not a fan of large work. I was assigned to the smallest machine in that shop, turned out it was a 17" lathe. I quit two weeks later.

Yeah, think of scrapping something like that cylinder! I'm sure lives were ruined over such things in the old days. On the other hand, I also imagine that they were far more forgiving of deviations from the norm, just making the next part to fit in such an incident, a far cry from the expensive permanent mold magnesium castings I saw scrapped because a hole was out of tolerance by only a thou!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Harold, I have been known to "make something fit" a time or two myself when I missed a measurement. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] No problem as long as it is not for interchangable parts, which my stuff ain't. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (Igor and I worked on the Newbie today) Jesse