ICS Steam Loco Study Course

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Loco112

ICS Steam Loco Study Course

Post by Loco112 »

Do any of you guys collect the old "Internation Correspondance Schools" Steam Locomotive Study Course Booklets?

Some of those booklets are over 75 years old now and thus are legal to scan and sell and do whatever you like with the scannes. I am not advocating selling any of them, as its not worth the troulbe for that anyway, but I would like to trade the booklets within a group of other ICS booklet collectors untill all the groups members have had a chance to scan or copy every booklet that they thought was useful.

I'm putting my booklets on DVD for my own future reference. I have about 75 of the ICS booklets and I also have other really old WABCO Brake books and Railway Education Agency books that are way too rare and valuable to use now and thus they need to be scanned and placed on DVD's for futurte use rather than using the books in my shop on my projects and having them damaged in the process.

Lets here you ideas on the subject of scanning parts of our collections and doing some trading.
Attachments
railroad junk 001.jpg
Last edited by Loco112 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have one that only deals with a brake valve.

It has great illustrations in it, and it's neat in that there are a bunch of fold-outs for protruding parts. That way, if a part would have filled the page except for some part sticking out the top, instead of reducing it, they printed it large and made a little flap that folded off the top of the page.

If anyone is interested in it, it is for sale/trade. I can post details later of exactly what it is.

Steve
Loco112

ICS importance

Post by Loco112 »

Men, how many of you have either the 4-vol set for the "Wildwood Publications" International Correspondence Schools "Steam Locomotive Study Course" reprints, or a large set of the original ICS books/booklets that you educated yourselves from?

I want to let some of the men that have never come in contact with those books/booklets hear how important they are (or were) to some of us.

So how about it. How important to your knowledge and your live steaming have those obscure books and booklets been to you?

Attached is a photo of the table of contents to the 4-vol reprints;
Attachments
ICS wildwood books table of contents(small).jpg
Fender

Post by Fender »

Loco,
I have a reprint and it has been very instructive to me. Also, the Locomotive Cyclopedia and Dictionary is very informative.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

Take a look here for some already on CD.

http://www.maxcowonline.com/maxspage/pr ... =184&y=349

I have some of the booklets that the Pilliod Company produced for their Baker Valve Gear.

One of the early ones shows it applied to out-side admission valves. I also have a brake down manual that shows the engineer how to get a locomotive home if something brakes.

Pyle National also produced booklets for their Young Valve Gear.

Tim
Last edited by FLtenwheeler on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Bill Shields

4 book ICS course

Post by Bill Shields »

I think that these books are so important that I have 2 sets...

both show very heavy wear.

ditto on my locomotive cyclopaedia (1941 printing).

I understand that the cyclopaedias are available in DVD already.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

There are also books out there already at http://search.live.com. Do a search for "locomotive" "railroad" and so on. One interesting one is the account of the great locomotive chase of the Civil War by one of the participants. Was a fun read.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Rockhouse

Post by Rockhouse »

Had a superheater unit burst on a 2-6-2 about a lifetime ago immediately launching the information that we repaired our own locomotives. That overnight job became my introduction to maintenance in addition to operation. Did both until I retired and usually enjoyed it all.

There's about twenty feet or thereabouts of steam locomotive and air brake technical books on my shelf, maybe more, including perhaps just about everything once common that ICS and Westinghouse produced on the subject since the late 1800's, or so.

The older ICS books are blue and hardbound . . . then there were the tests that we had to take to get the degree.

The next section of the bookshelfs is taken up with car and diesel material.
mmagliaro

Post by mmagliaro »

Hi everybody. I'm the guy who has the CD of scanned ICS
books mentioned above
(the link was:
http://www.maxcowonline.com/maxspage/pr ... =184&y=349
)

Just a few FYI...

I have 14 of them, all related to locomotives. They were given to me by a very very dear friend years ago (who has sadly passed away), and they were given to HIM by an "old timer" who used to work for a railroad.
I do not have any name or railroad.

As for reproducing them, I had them professionally scanned by
Graphic Sciences Inc. in Royal Oak, MI. They scanned them on a true "book scanner", as opposed to a flatbed. A book scanner lets you open the book normally, without crushing the binding down and ruining the book.

Graphic Sciences also OCR (optical character recognition) processed them, so my books are text searchable. If you just scan a book into JPGs or even a .pdf, it will still just be a "picture". You have to OCR it if you want to be able to open the pdf file and search for text in the document.

Regarding reproduction rights... it is true that the copyright on these books has expired. However, the original publisher is still in business. ICS (International Correspondance School) of Scranton, PA, is now Penn Foster College. I just did not feel it was right or fair to be an ambulance chaser and start reproducing the books when the original publisher was still around. So I contacted them, and got written permission to reproduce my CDs.

Yes, I am selling the CD copies that I am burning myself. But all that aside, they really are marvelous books.
appalachian american

Post by appalachian american »

The ICS material is still copyright protected. All of their information has had copyrights renewed with each new edition and with each new owner of the company.

The new material on CD is of excellent quality, and copright cleared. Thanks for going to the trouble and to Penn Warren for granting rights!

ICS had a lot of great material on lots of subjects, including the railroad business. The steam railroad stuff had editions as late as 1951.
mmagliaro

Post by mmagliaro »

On what do you base this info that the copyrights are still in force?
I talked to Penn Foster (it's Foster, btw, not Warren) College myself,
and they were quite sure the copyrights were not renewed.
appalachian american

Post by appalachian american »

Yes, the copyrights are still applicable. Copyright law has gotten increasingly complicated with the litigation over file sharing that has been going on for the past few years. In fact, it is downright nasty these days. We deal with copyrights all the time in the real world and the 75 year law is in fact correct, BUT, it is 75 years AFTER the last copyrighted edition. As I said, the editions were edited until the late 1940's, and they are a tremendous reference.

If you talked to the current owners of the ICS material and they have no objection, and you have it in writing, you have nothing to worry about.

With the limited market of steam locomotive information, there is not enough money involved in a damage suit to temp even the most agressive ambulance chaser.

You material is great!