Brass rod half round 1/8" or German Silver Wire

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bruce

Brass rod half round 1/8" or German Silver Wire

Post by Bruce »

I have been looking for brass rod Half Round for the "beading" trim on an english engine cab in 3/4" scale. In the original plan, which is some 60 or more years old, "German Silver Wire" is specified. K&S, the most known (to me at least) hobby brass stock supplier has it in 3/16" only. Does anyone know of a source for Half round stock in 1/8" diameter? Thanks.

Bruce
Kevin_S

Post by Kevin_S »

Bruce, I had a hard time finding halfround brass in 5/16". I ended up ordering 5/16" round and removing half on a horizontal mill.
-Kevin S.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Kevin, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to end up cutting a groove in a piece of aluminum or steel, super gluing 1/8" round wire in it and grinding or milling it down. Oh Oh.

Kevin, I might be wrong about the 3/16" dimension on the K&S stock. Now that you mention it, it might be 5/16".

Bruce
GaryHart

Post by GaryHart »

Another method of making the half round is to wrap the 1/8" rod around a hunk of pipe or other round stock and clamp or braze ends in place then turn down to half diameter in lathe. Anneal and straighten. gary
Vancouver, WA
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

There was a time when we could stroll into Bonds o' Euston Road, or Basset Lowke, or Kennions and pick up half-round in almost every size and material.

Now, we have a few sizes that we can get off the shelf in brass, if we are lucky, but that is all.

Usually though we have to make it.
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Howard Gorin

1/8 Inch Half Round Brass Wire

Post by Howard Gorin »

How much do you need. I have lots of it
Bruce

Brass 1/8" Half Round...

Post by Bruce »

Well Howard, that's amazing. I'm guessing about 3 feet. Let me know how much it would cost. Thanks!

Bruce
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Did you try Coles Power Models? Thats where I got mine, but it was about ten years ago.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

You might check on-line jewelry or metalcraft suppliers and suppliers of metal "findings" for the NS wire, however 5/16" is going to be big stuff for them. AJ Reeves in the UK will have it (1/8") in brass.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

1/2 round

Post by Bill Shields »

Howard's supply not withstanding, you can make the stuff very easily with a milling fixture - a drawing of which I posted a year or 2 ago before the board crashed...don't know if it is still here or not....

You start the stuff slowly, clamp down over the flat spot, grab it with a pair of vise grips and pull it through faster than I can type this...

if you need a drawing, I can send one...don't exactly remember how to post it here....
DaveD

Re: Brass rod half round 1/8" or German Silver Wire

Post by DaveD »

Howard's supply not withstanding, you can make the stuff very easily with a milling fixture - a drawing of which I posted a year or 2 ago before the board crashed...don't know if it is still here or not....
Bill, that drawing you posted way back when is no longer there. According to a post in another thread it was posted on October 5, 2006 and titled HALF-ROUND BRASS SUPPLIER. Would it be possible to describe it again? I need to make a bunch of half-round out of 1/8 round for my cab and tender.
Dave Dalton
Howard Gorin

Re: Brass rod half round 1/8" or German Silver Wire

Post by Howard Gorin »

I still have the wire. It is not a pure half round, the edges are slightly broken at what could be called the diameter.
I also have 3/16" half round and I could probably obtain other sizes as well.