1" Scale Little Engines 0-4-0 castings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

1" Scale Little Engines 0-4-0 castings

Post by Mike Walsh »

Sirs,

I've recently aqcuired a LE 0-4-0 frame that rolls, off e-bay, at a good price.

I finally got it out of the packaging, and started looking around the locomotive... It was disassembled slightly for shipping (the end frames were removed), so I've started putting it back together and figuring out what needs doing...

Here's the photos of the locomotive... FYI, these were downloaded from the auction... I don't have a dedicated work station for the locomotive yet, so I'll have to wait til I get a chance to clean up a bit

The second photo shows some parts that came with it. I also have a baggie of nuts'n'bolts that came with it, even the leaf springs from LE!

While I'm not complaining, the locomotive came as-is... The builder apparently deceased quite some time ago, and the seller knew nothing about it, and couldn't tell me anything about it. I got four blueprints with the locomotive, but have a friend who is willing to loan me his set of blueprints to work from..

Does anyone have, or know of anyone, with cylinder castings for the 0-4-0? If so, please let me know.. I might be interested in purchasing a set if the price is right. I've no clue what the cost of castings for this model would be, since I've not a catalog get. Hopefully I can pick up one at Cabin Fever, from Mr. Stewart...

Anyway, I'm just hoping to see if anyone has any extra parts for this locomotive rolling around.. I'm currently in college, and have access to machining equipment, so I'd like to take advantage of what I have available to myself.

After I get this project figured out, I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the progress for this locomotive. I am happy to be able to start on a project... Even if I didn't start on it from the ground up... There's still nothing like figuring out what you've gotta do, then do it, and feeling good about it in the end!

Regards,

Mike Walsh
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

All I can do is to wish you best of luck in finishing it up, which I sincerely do. Has Little Engines dropped their website as of late? I heard that the company had been divided between the owners, but this may be just gossip.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm not gonna bother with the website anymore...

I did find out that Russell Stewart owns the current 1" Line, and I've asked about castings.. He's not got much right now. I should be meeting him at Cabin Fever, so I hope to find out more then.

Mike Walsh
steveleatherman

Post by steveleatherman »

I as well have a 1" LE 0-4-0T. It's a nice starter engine and you will learn a lot and eventually move up to the bigger stuff. The money I've spent on the engine could never pay for what I've learned from trial and error and from the friends I have made through live steam that have shown me more things than I can remember.

Anyways, I don't know how the new Little Engines is doing in PA, but LE in CA was a PITA. Give the new owner a few months and see if he can get you the cylinder castings and whatever parts you need. Depending on your skills and access to certain machinery, you might be able to fabricate the rest of what you need for this engine if you find cylinders.

I too don't have a lot of drawings for the locomotive. I'll see what I have laying around and let you know. I could make copies for you if you need them.

Steve L.
Owner/Operator of BoilerSaver - "Ask the User" - www.boilersaver.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D
cp4449

LE 0-4-0

Post by cp4449 »

I have a LE 0-4-0 in a box. Lots of castings, and a set of plans. I am willing to sell it to add space in the garage. I am located in SoCal. If interested, email me.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
DJSteamer3017

Re: LE 0-4-0

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

cp4449 wrote:I have a LE 0-4-0 in a box. Lots of castings, and a set of plans. I am willing to sell it to add space in the garage. I am located in SoCal. If interested, email me.
Chris,

Do you still have the 0-4-0, and if you do how much do u want for it?

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney