Berkshire Number boards origin?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rwilliams

Berkshire Number boards origin?

Post by Rwilliams »

With the loss of the Superpower Detail supplier of detail parts, the source for a NKP Berkshire number board has dried up. A great detail item for our scale steamers has once again vanished into places unknown.

Therefore, to put in motion a new possible product in the future, one must go back in history and find out the original manufacturer of this signature detail part used on many of the more modern steam locomotives. Does anyone out there know the original source for this appliance?

Was it a railroad built item, an after market item, or a builder item?

I am sure Lima installed many of them on new Berks but did they make it in house or was it provided by one of their suppliers?

Perhaps Living Legend can share with us some of his vast knowledge on this new question.

Robert
Loco112

LIMA number boards

Post by Loco112 »

Robert,

Can you post a photo of the number board in question. I know where some builders drawings are for two different sets of number boards, probably Adlake if I remember correctly.

They may or may not be the same as the LIMA boards, but I'll look into it.

David
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Pyle-National number boards were used on the NKP Berks as I recall.

The only part made by the builder (Lima, in the NKP Berks case) was the bracket attaching it to the smokebox itself

For a 1.5" scale number board source, I suggest you contact Jim Kreider and Real Trains. They are starting to supply more parts for Kreider's loco. Jim may me able to supply you with more info.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Since all ot the major castings and sheet metal parts are developed for the Berkshire "kit", I've turned my efforts torward developing castings for more of the detail parts on the Berkshire and the number boards are part of that effort. Hopefully I'll have some news on those by mid-March.

LL is right in regard to the manufacturer.

Jim Kreider
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Jim,

Hows your own Berkshire coming?

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hey Jim
With that hot rod rapid prototype machine you have it should be a piece of cake to spit out some number board masters. Ha Ha...too much fun!
Jack
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Well Jack I'm still learning how to use that RP machine to spit out parts that look like the parts that you make. I haven't got there yet. I had to do something since that human RP machine who lives in Grover Beach is much too busy to work on Berkshire parts, ha,ha!! Your right-too much fun!

David:
I have to quit working on other people's engines (and retire from that 40+ hour a week thing called work) because it always puts my own on the back burner. But the chassis is complete, the boiler (with the appliance pads welded to the boiler) and smokebox are ready to apply. One of these days. As Jack says - too much fun!

Jim
Attachments
BOILER-1.jpg
BerkSmkbx.jpg
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Jim,

Looks good. Can we see pics of the chassis.

I still remember seeing your frame parts back in 1974 when I came down to you shop to turn my drivers on your 16" Southbend.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Pennsy fan

work

Post by Pennsy fan »

Or Jim you can be like me and work sometimes........
Me.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hey Jim
That is one ultra cool set up to machine your smoke box. You are a very savvy crank turner!!
Happy Model Building
Jack
BillCochrane

NKP number boards

Post by BillCochrane »

Hi Jim

I,m looking for a set of these number boards for my NKP mike that I have under construction. Will your boards have the brackets with them? When do you think they will be available?

Thanks,
Bill C.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Here are some of the first castings for the Pyle National NKP number boards.
I'm working on some mold tweeks and the electrical stuff, but progress is being made.

Jim Kreider
Attachments
P3292662.JPG