A locomotive is not a train.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Trainman4602 wrote:One other thing. I hate when people call me a “Railroad Buff” What the heck is a buff anyhow?
A "Railroad Buff" is similar to a gerf (glassy-eyed railfan).
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Ben_Smith

Post by Ben_Smith »

I've had similar experiences.... I shipped a locomotive I sold via FedEx. It was damaged severly by a forklift. When filing the insurance claim, the FedEx rep couldn't understand how a model locomotive could sustain several thousand dollars damage... after all it's just a "toy train". After trying to explain what my "trains" actually are I simply referred her to one of the supplier websites. They processed the claim fairly quickly after that.

When explaining my hobby to others, I often make mention of either the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk" or the TV show "Silver Spoons". It seems that most of the people I run into remember watching either of these and are then able to understand the scale of my "toys"
Official card-carrying member of "The Shay Drag Racing Team"
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

"What do you think of the dope problem we have in this country? Yes, we definitely have too many dopes!" Thank you George Carlin.

There is no doubt "ignorance is bliss"...and there are too many uneducated souls out there to get upset about. As long as we build, operate and display trains, we're going to be asked some stupid questions. I take most of that in stride. Perhaps the best way to explain it (as Dick Morris mentioned)...carry a 8x10 glossy photo of your best equipment consist...hopefully with a human sitting on the train for size reference. After all, a picture is worth 1000 words.

What rubs a raw nerve in me is when our hobby is referred to as a Kiddieland. Whoops...sorry, our tracks, clubs and trains are anything BUT a kiddieland operation. And that encompasses ALL the clubs that haul public as their primary source of revenue as well. While I appreciate a good joke, a great pun and try to have some fun...I do take my hobby seriously. Once you get past the initial Q&A, persons will figure out you know what you're talking about. They might also realize that even in minature, there are no "joy rides" for train crew personnel.

That aside, don't be so quick to ridicule and scron the less educated. We all started with the basics when we began our railroad adventures. We probably asked some unusual questions at first as well. If we put ourselves at Cape Kennedy, we'd probably ask some stupid questions about aeronautics and rockets if we found ourselves talking to an astronaut, physicists or rocket engineer.

It is what it is. You will never eliminate the stupid questions. Whatever you do...be careful what you say...the person asking that stupid question may be your next customer, fellow hobbyists or club member. Might end up being a good friend too. And remember...

...the round wheel on the rear platform of the caboose is to help steer the train around sharp curves! ;-) Carl B.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Au contraire.

Yes, a locomotive is a train...

As most, if not all, timetables and rule books will state:

"A train is a locomotive, with or without cars"

Sorry, guys.
:?
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Yes according to Chicken S**t Express a locomotive with or without cars displaying a marker is considered a train. This terminoligy is used for engine lite moves on main line. The marker displayed on the rear is usually the headlite on dim, per the rules. I don't think I have ever had a yardmaster tell me the front of my train is in the shops (the engines) and the rest of my train (the cars) is in the yard. I also have never hostled a train. I'm going to bed now because they deadheaded in front of me last night, and made me bring a TRAIN WITH CARS ATTACHED instead of getting a good nights sleep. I hope I did'nt offend any body with the definitions of trains, but I did'nt write the rules, the post is submitted for your amusement only, and I will deny everything I said. Also I never said the folks on this forum have more sense in there little finger than most trainmasters, nope, never said it. Got get some sleep now so maybe I can work on my TRAIN before I go back to work on Railroad, er I meant Train. :D
Biscuit
steamandbonsai

A LOCO IS NOT A TRAIN

Post by steamandbonsai »

I agree with everyone and all conclusions thus far--everyone has a corner on the truth. However, reluctantly I have to admit that I am intruducing/identifying to my almost 2-year old son, the distant locomotive air horn (approx 1 mile from my home) as "the train."

Simplicity is the rule at this point. And I'll do anything to try to curb the relentless attacks and constant push to identify a locomotive as a "choo-choo" or worse. . . . "Thomas." Some of my ignorant family members drive me to near violence, as they seek to pollute the mind of my innocent tot.
Dan S.
Tualatin, OR
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

aoh me, thats funny. How an adult will reduce his mind to pablum and begin uttering nonsense to LEAD a forming mind. (sigh). I fought that war long ago, to talk to a child with understandable input. Progamming big people is harder.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

Gentlemen;
Your all singing to the chior. And any place you go in life you will find self proclaimed experts in a field and those who have little or no interest in learning the lingo of the field. Even reading these posts not everyone agrees. Get off your high horses and help the ignorant or ignore them. Wander off into agricluture and you will find locomotives that do not run on rails. Go to a wedding and you'll find a bride with a train that has no lights. Life is good, please don't waste it whining about others you have no control over say.

lg
no neat sig line