Crazy Questions That The Public Asks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LivingLegend

Crazy Questions That The Public Asks

Post by LivingLegend »

Continuing on the "Locomotive Is Not A Train" thread theme....

How many out there have had the public, or non-hobbyist/non-steam enthusiast visitors ask you a "roll your eyes", "shake your head" type question?

This question was asked of me, many years ago, back in the days when LALS's old "Sutchville Station" was still the loading area for it's public riders.

I had pulled into the station, and while the passengers were unloading/loading, I was filling the tender.

There was this guy standing behind the station's viewing area fence line next to the loco I was running. When I put the hose into the tender, he asks me....

"What's that you're putting in there? Gasoline?"

Not an unreasonable queston to ask.... Assuming that he thought I was refueling.

I replied, "No. It's water."

To which this guy now asks me, in all unknowing sincereity and amazement......

"How do you burn water?"

Now, mind you, it was a STEAM locomotive that I was running

Boggles the mind.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Wed May 21, 2008 2:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...and an appropriate (or not) answer regarding "how do you burn water" might have been...

...very carefully and inside a pressure vessel. Carl B.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

ccvstmr wrote:...and an appropriate (or not) answer regarding "how do you burn water" might have been...

I just gave the guy a quick answer back.

The loco I was running was oil fired, so I just told him the loco burned oil. The oil fire heated the water to make steam. The steam was used to power the loco.

Simple. And to the point.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Simple, and to the point, but not NEARLY as much fun as saying it is subatomic, or some such.

After all it is a reactor of sorts. Fuel in , energy out.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

One line I have heard before, when asked "what does your engine run on," is "tracks!"
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

I've had "why are you putting black rocks in there?"

I have overheard one youngster ask his father what the "hands" were for on the front of a traction engine. To which his father replied, "to wind the motor up."

IMHO, people asking where the batteries are, and similar questions just shows how poorly the education system works. or doesnt work.

Fine if it is a youngster, they have to learn, but when it is an adult...
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

ccvstmr wrote:...and an appropriate (or not) answer regarding "how do you burn water" might have been...

I dunno....

I'm well known in my family and my family's close friends for successfully setting a waterbed on fire when I was 3 years old. How, I don't know..

What can I say.... My other hobby is playing with fire:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/d ... allpad.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/d ... iftoff.jpg
jameshitz

How does it work?

Post by jameshitz »

When asked how does it work (by a self-demonstrated yahoo), I answered "Well if you consider the thermodynamic properties of steam, and consider the P-h diagram for water, you realize that the enthalpy of saturated vapor is dramatically higher than that of saturated liquid. This enlightens us to the need for a heat source, typically from fossil fuel combustion. Now considering.....

The asker smiled, turned and walked away.

James
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

When doing research at the California State RR museum in Sacramento, I was asked how they got the coal from the tender of the cab-forward up to the firebox so it could be burned?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Rwilliams wrote:When doing research at the California State RR museum in Sacramento, I was asked how they got the coal from the tender of the cab-forward up to the firebox so it could be burned?
Well, Robert, that's what the running boards along the side of the boiler are for. And that's the reason they're called "running" boards. Keeps the fireman in shape!

I suspect that the most common question is, "How fast will it go?" I try to tell them that speed is not what it's about, but a friend has a good answer: "Faster than I want to ride it!"

Slightly O.T., Robert and I both work in education and frequently commiserate about the sad state of the average human mind. I could fill this board's servers with examples but, as I conclude a 36-year career trying to teach at the college level, suffice to say that too many "graduates" do not warrant the degrees they receive. And as long as our education system is funded on the basis of body count, I don't expect to see any change.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
hawkman

Post by hawkman »

You can always fall back on the Di-Hydrogen Monoxide spoof (it always does a brisk business around April 1 anyway).
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Well having run a steam locomotive pulling the public and demonstrating a 1/4 scale traction engine with a separator I have certainly been asked many questions. What I remember most was the answer I got from the first question I asked when seeing a live steam scale locomotive for the first time - and it was almost as incredible as asking where are the batteries? The answer was - "Hi my name is John, step over here and Ill show you how she works and get you running her!" --- That was in 1975 and led to one of the most rewarding directions my life ever took. Through out my association with this hobby I hear over and over - we cannot get people involved, well its easy - reach out and let them know how much fun this is. Remember most young adults ie 50 or so and under have never been exposed to anything mechanical so you cannot expect them to just know. How about a decorated fighter pilot with several degrees in engineering, a number of patents coming out to a threshing show at my invite and seeing for the first time a traction engine. His question - why did they take locomotives off the track and put them on wheels? Perfectly reasonable question for someone who had never been in a farming community in his life.
Its called teach them and they will follow. I think LivingLegend's simple to the point answer was great. That was probably all the guy wanted to know ie what was going on. Its called curiosity - nurture it when you find it, just think of all the folks who just look and walk away - no curiosity too bad. John's response in 1975 caused me to build locomotives, construct three railroads, get my entire family into it, and now even my grandchildren. When the public asks a question - hook them and reel them in, especially younger ones - they can lift more!

So speaking for the unrepresented public - hey don't make me look ridiculous - especially in front of my kid! Just answer the question, I learn, you teach, and my kid sees how adults communicate

Former Member of the Vast Public