One last look at the Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Trainman4602

One last look at the Tender

Post by Trainman4602 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Well here it is up on the trucks at last. The new stand worked great. It’s the same height as the Locomotive stand. I can hook them together to form a 14ft long track.
Attachments
Picture 836.jpg
Picture 837.jpg
Picture 838.jpg

FredR

Post by FredR » Wed May 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Looks great ! Question though. The last photo... it looks like the air lines are too long. I figure the photo is being deceptive.....

Fred

Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 pm

They are about one inch above the rail head. They are longer then scale and bigger then scale. They have to be in order for the air brake system to work properly.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu May 15, 2008 6:51 am

Trainman4602 wrote:They are about one inch above the rail head. They are longer then scale and bigger then scale. They have to be in order for the air brake system to work properly.
There are some things that even Dave can't make to scale. Mother Nature is one of them :-)

Dave - it's looks great. Hope I get a chance to see it in person.

Steve

ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr » Thu May 15, 2008 7:13 am

Dave,
You didn't do a nice job on that tender....you did a superb job! Great attention to detail. A miniature replica of the real thing. The ghosts at the Juniata Shops would be proud.

Only saw two small problems: 1) not enough coal in the bunker to make a lap around a railroad and more importantly...2) there's no back rest on the engineers seat. Leaning over the cab controls all day with no back support is murder on those back muscles.

It doesn't take much to fit a tractor seat as your main cushion to the tender deck. There's nothing like setting the throttle, Johnson Bar and/or brake and then kick back to enjoy the ride, sound and view! Find attached a couple pix drifting downgrade at the ILS back in '06. Photos by (now) Vice Prez, Dave Lech. And NO, my shoes are not scuffing the cab roof...they're hanging over the side. ;-) Carl B.
Attachments
xdrifting.jpg
xstill drifting.jpg

Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh » Thu May 15, 2008 9:51 am

spoken and performed like a true railroader! :)

Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Carl

Thanks much for the nice comments about my work.

As far as having enough coal. The bunker capacity is more then adequate for several laps of the track. The PLS main line is 3000ft plus.

Addressing the tractor seat issue. It’s a matter of personal preference. I personally don’t like the look of the tractor seat. Also I see from the pictures of your engine that you are taller them myself. I’m only 5’ 6” tall so I don’t have to lean over as far. I can also see were having a back on the seat would help someone that has back trouble. Fortunately I don’t have that problem.

FredR

Post by FredR » Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

I think he meant the amount in the tender CURRENTLY :-)
Trainman4602 wrote:Carl

As far as having enough coal. The bunker capacity is more then adequate for several laps of the track. The PLS main line is 3000ft plus.

ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr » Thu May 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Dave, I only have you beat by 2 more inches in height. That's not so much. Like it or not, that's all my parents gave me.

I originally had a loco seat cushion like yours. I used that for 1 or 2 seasons before jumping up to something with lower back support. I went the tractor seat route because it was smaller than a boat seat and looked nicer (my opin)...even if only a little bit. Of course, if you were building in 2.5" or 3" scale, you could probably sit in the bunker with your coal. My "liquified coal" is piled in the tank that sits with the cows in the stock car.

And as Fred mentioned, I was talking about the amount of coal left in your tender after your trial run (Thanks Fred). Carl B.