The air brake results are in

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:57 pm

How about dummy glad hands with some other form of quick disconnect hidden under the car?

The scale look without the not-to-scale leaks.

I'm planning on going to PVLS, so I'm looking forward to seeing the train and meeting the builders.

Steve

Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Steve I also thought of that concept. Not a bad idea. I have been searching for a smaller hose and ferrel setup. I found some in Philly. I'll send for them tomorrow. I'll be coming up to PVLS late Friday. I'll be at the track early Saturday morning. I haven't been there in 25 years. I allways had a great time at the meets. See You there.

Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 pm

one of the reasons that the gladhands were invented is so that in the event of an uncoupling, the connection would be severed (by means of the gladhands aligning appropriately that the trainline pressure would blow the gladhands apart).

My question is why would you use dummy glad hands, and quik connects "hidden under the car" if the connection cannot be severed in the event of an uncoupling? A length of pipe that is unobstructed, with silicone tubing slid over it will do a better job of severing the connection (with several hundred pounds pulling on such a connection, it WILL come off).

Just my thought... You can direct me towards the firing line if you wish, or you can discuss it.

Loco112

corrected by; 20% larger? or new gasket material?

Post by Loco112 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:34 am

Trainman, aren't the 2.5" SuperScale glad hands very close to exact scale?

Do you think the deficiencies would be corrected by them being 20% larger and all else being the same? I ask because my 3" glad hands are to be from the very same prototype (the pre-1960 WABCO) that Barry at SS copied his from.

What about using a better sealing gasket material?

David
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge

Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 am

I'm ordering the new ferrels and the crimper tool for them today. I'll try the new hoses this weekend at NJLS spring meet.

I don't think siliconing a hose on a pipe will not hold the 70lbs pressure.

Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:16 am

I should make it clear that SS glade hands are designed for use on 2 ½ scale. In that scale the cars are further apart then in 1 ½ scale. With the cars being closer, the connections tend to make them come almost perpendicular to the rails. With this condition the swing and sway pull on the glad hands causing the leak. In this situation the hoses also are pulled upon causing further leakage.

There are 4 potential leaks per car. That’s two hose leaks per end. The glade hand makes for another leak. Adding it up, there are 15 potential leak points with a 3 car train.

Also there is the main reservoir connection between the first car and the tender adding 5 more potential leaks. Another factor is any small pipe leaks in the system. I have no leaks in the pipes. I proved this in the static test.

My hopes are that the ferrules will cure any hose leaks. We will see this weekend.

I like to mention that Superscale make a very fine product. I don’t want anyone think I’m putting the glade hands down.

I’ve always used and have recommended there products too many of my customers. I was the first to use SS safety valves here in the east. That was in 1980.