This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

schwinncoll

Re: New member

Post by schwinncoll »

I'm sorry Marty, I should have specified. The tender brakes are the ones that are off. One truck is applied while the other is released and then when you release the one the other is applied. I'm thinking its the wrong pivot point.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

brake rigging is here:

http://www.mehrs.com/misc.html

it is shown for a 2-8-0 but the idea is the same for other arrangements
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Does anyone have drawings for a brake rigging system with two shoes per wheel? I see from NP317's drawings that I got mine all wrong, should have asked! Any help would be appreciated. John
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

An easier way to fabricate the brake beams parts is by using commercial clevises and steel brake beams closer to prototype beam sizes ( should be about 1.5x 5 on the prototype). All of it should be assembled with pins and cotters. The 1/2 x 1/2 is way over scale but also requires you to fabricate a lot of slots, and places to attach the custom machined celvises and allow the rods to pass through. If you stick with commercial clevises (Recycled a few on the engine, bought the balance from mcmaster) they will have enough length in the clevis to pass over the short equalizer link and attach to the brake beam with a pin. Which is like the prototype in appearence, functionality and size. Truth is the prototype never used threaded rods or clevises, usually was a cast or forged rod. As much as I don't like the aluminum brake beams they will work fine as they don't really have that much load on them. Or a better option is to start with 3/16 x .75 x beam length and turn the pins on the ends instead of threading shoulder bolts into it. Tapped holes are usually non prototypical and evil, but that's for another thread... Also, think twice about putting the connecting links directly under the main frame, where they pin into the beam. Makes it real difficult to get the pins out for maintenance. Will post pictures when I find them.

JP
Attachments
M&B 444 brake equalizers
M&B 444 brake equalizers
Last edited by johnpenn74 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
schwinncoll

Post by schwinncoll »

Anyone have photos of the brake rigging on the tender? The brakes on Warren's Mogul are backwards. When one truck is set the other is released and vice versa.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Allen never provided tender brakes. You will probably need to get a prototype freight car rigging diagram.
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

SchwinnColl,
Post a few pics of the brake linkages to the group and I can tell you what to change. Should look something like the attached.

JP
Attachments
John Shucks Allen Mogul
John Shucks Allen Mogul
John Shucks Allen Mogul
John Shucks Allen Mogul
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0