Maxitrak Lil Joe

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

Maxitrak Lil Joe

Post by wbarbe »

Are there any of these engines running in the U.S?
Does anyone know anybody who has built one?
I would like to know about quality and performance.
Thanks
Allen_from_CHT

Re: Maxitrak Lil Joe

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

I know for sure there is a 2-4-0 version in Williamsport, Pa - but the fellow is still assembling it... There are others, one in Michigan, a 2-6-0 in Connecticut (I think), that I know of, and several more that I've only heard about.

I also seem to remember one of the Florida clubs had an online series on building the Maxitrak Pearl.
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

Keith Manison, FLS member, built the Pearl, which is now owned by Jim Hoback in Sonora, California. I saw it at Sacramento last summer. Looked interesting, and as far as I remember Jim was having fun with it. Contact me of list and I'll see about getting you in touch with Jim.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Allen_from_CHT

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

Just FYI Lil Jo and Pearl share many of the same mechanical features, that is how they help keep costs low.

Also, Which I forgot to mention earier - I have a video, shot in England showing various Maxitrak products in operation at some of the Maxitrak Owner's Club rallies. It is jittery, somewhat out of focus (perhaps due to the format change?), and not a terribly "finished" production, but it does show most of their product line including a 2-4-0 Lil Jo in operation.Contact me off list if you'd like a copy.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

One of the members of the Ridge Live Steamers has a Lil Joe. I think it is a very nice little engine. It was making it up the 3.5% grade at the RLS track with out any problems. It does not have brake so he only took it down the hill once.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Oooooh! No brakes! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] Been there and done that at Mid-South. Brakes on the American were not good enough for the grade and pore old Unka Jesse got rolled off in the curve at the bottom of the grade. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] Ground level so Unk not hurt except for his pride! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img] I was pulling an empty gondola at the time and there was a hand operated vacuum brake that I had made inside of it. Intention was for a passenger to use the brake, but as I said, no passenger that run and I could not reach the brake handle to pump up the vacuum. Cured that immediately when I got home so now I can reach behind myself and work the brakes handily. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (brakeman ) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Allen_from_CHT

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

Thats one oddity in the Maxitrak line that I honestly don't understand. Screw operated mechanical loco brakes are standard on the other Maxitrak locos that size (Pearl, Opal, Arthur), and optional on the smaller ones - but doesn't seem to be offered ay all on the Lil Jo. I assume that it has something to do with the way the Marshall reverse gear is mounted.
Fitting tender brakes sounds like a good idea.

Lil Jo custom ordered as a 2-6-0 Mogul