New Year.....New project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Andy Romer and a friend of his are building three Virginias (4-4-0). He is also making the parts for a portable elevated 4-3/4" and 3-1/2" track. Curtis Farrington is building a 3/4" Consolidation. There surely must be others. We are doing what we can to promote 3/4" scale.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Harlock
Very nice drawing for the axle box. Cutting them off the strip with a slitting saw is a good method, although be wary of thin saws (less that .025") as they can wander.
Happy model bulding
Jack
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

JBodenmann wrote:Andy Romer and a friend of his are building three Virginias (4-4-0).... There surely must be others.
Once my skills are good enough that I'm not worried about messing up expensive castings, I'm going to start on a partially-completed Virginia I inherited.

For now, working on an electric to build up my skills. Just spent about an hour last night practicing boring holes (practicing on scrap instead of real parts).

Steve
Attachments
SJM_Virginia.JPG
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looking good Jack! I have a set of those prints and wheels as well as some other parts. I've only glass beaded the slight surface rust off them and shot them with black paint so far...

Henry's drawings are AWESOME!!! I can hardly wait to get started on it, but have some other projects to finish first.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hey Steve
That Virginia looks like it has a lot of potential. If you want to practice your skills there are gaggels of little parts for a Virginia that are just made from bar stock, which is cheap. There are a lot of little pins and simple little parts for the spring and brake rigging. Most castings are relatively cheap, not stuff like cylinders and driver castings but most of them little castings can be had fairly cheaply. Have Fun
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hey Andy, I am glad to hear that you have castings for the 0-6-0. It looks like it will be a fine engine. I must say that I am just having too much fun working on this 3/4" scale engine. I think this is the ideal size for modeling. There is not one part of the engine that I can't pick up. Aside from castings I have been able to make what I need just from what is laying around the shop. No giant pieces of stock. I had a piece of 5/16" x 2-1/2" in the shed that is just long enough to make the side frames. So here are the axle boxes. Aren't they cute! 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 5/8". I like the fact that they have removable cellars. This allows them to be taken off the axle without having to press a wheel off. The cellars have recesses in them for a lubricator pad. Just like their full size counterpart. Mr Coventry originally designed the cellar to be held in by a steel pin through the bottom of the axle box. I used #2-56 flathead brass screws. As I said before, I never could color between the lines.
Attachments
AxlBxDone.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

So....doesn't everybody turn wheels at 45,000 RPM. Actually it was only about 300. Cemented carbide lathe bit. NICE castings, very nice iron!
Attachments
45000RPM.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here we go. Finished tread diameter will be 3-1/4".
Attachments
Driver1.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

This is as far as I got tonight. All six faced off on the back and the axle holes drilled bored and the reamed to size, .625". Im going to go at it again tomorrow. It would be nice to get them all faced off on the front and turn the treads and perhaps get the axles made. Then next weekend bore the crank pin holes. I will have to make a little fixture to make sure the crank throws are all the same. Then it will be time to quarter the wheel axle assemblies. I will have to make a few little things to do this. I'll keep you posted. Sunday I will anywhere but in the shop! Usually by Saturday I find myself talking to the boiler inspector, time to get out a bit.
Too Much Fun
Jack
Attachments
Driver2.JPG
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

JBodenmann wrote:Hey Andy, The cellars have recesses in them for a lubricator pad. Just like their full size counterpart.
It's great to see your work, now in 3/4" inch scale.

Will you use cotton waste or felt as the pads?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I'm going to use felt pads in mine....I have a good sized piece of felt left over from another project....

Dang it Jack.....You're distracting me from what I need to do.... :lol:

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Andy and Jim.
I was thinking of using felt for the same reasons, I have some laying around. I think it would be cool if everyone working on a 3/4" engine were to post a couple photos. We need to encourage each other and do some networking. I have a couple little detail parts that I plan on having investment cast and will be making them available. Although I just haven't the room now, I would like to get a bigger piece of property to build an elevated track. I can se it now...a 3/4" scale meet, Suit and tie optional. So get out in the shop and have at it.
3/4" Scale!
Happy Model Building
Jack