Pa Live Steamers - 1961

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dave_Johnson

Pa Live Steamers - 1961

Post by Dave_Johnson »

I recently was given some slides that were taken at the Pa Live Steamers in 1961. This was when the club was located in Paoli.
Attachments
Pa Live Steamers - 1961
Pa Live Steamers - 1961
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Dave
Can you post some more photos?
Jack
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Okay, here is another. I will post a couple here and there as I scan them. Maybe B&O Bob can put a name to some of these folks.

Dave J.
Attachments
Pa Live Steamers 1961
Pa Live Steamers 1961
Bill Shields

$64,000 Question

Post by Bill Shields »

Where are those locos today?
sncf141r

3-1/2 on the ground.

Post by sncf141r »

These two look like 3-1/2" gauge on the ground - something that I have not tried.

How well does it work?

JohnS.
Dave_Johnson wrote:I recently was given some slides that were taken at the Pa Live Steamers in 1961. This was when the club was located in Paoli.
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

The PLS track in Paoli had 2 loops. The small oval has 1/2, 3/4 & 1"scale. The longer, outside loop was 1" scale. I visited and knew members at this location. One of the finest locomotives was Henry Townsend's PRR M-1 4-8-2. It now resides in the PRR museum in Strasburg, PA.

The second photo, I am sure is the late Frank Watson's 3/4 " 4-6-0 Georgia. Not sure if Frank is running it.

If you have access to Modelrailroader September 1971 there is a 4 page article in it. On page 55 I am running Guy Obrecht's 1" scale Reading camelback which I later owned. On the top of page 57 is a photo of Doug Spear's Pere Marquette Berkshire. I bought it from him in 1984 and rebuilt it. I still have it and it is a fine locomotive. It was first on the rails in 1948 built by the latr John Pugh of MI.

Sure is a grat hobby.

Bruce Saylor
B&OBob

Pa Live Steamers

Post by B&OBob »

This is the RDG L7 mentioned by Bruce, about 1951 hauling cars and a caboose built by Harold Geissel, creator of Model Railroader drawings for many years. Harold was fond of fine details and many roads, so he painted (by hand) one side of his cars with one road or owner, and the other side with different graphics. The engine was built by my father in 1950 and has since passed through many hands to an owner who has abused it to the point where it is now in worse condition than the prototype was when it was scrapped ca. 1948. And so it goes . . .

This photo shows the rail arrangement on the original PLS track made from Buddy-L steel rail. Nearest is track is 3.5" gauge, then 2.5", then 4.75". It gave the rough appearance of a two-track line. In addition, as we have found with the present track with the usual common rail and aditional rails for the other three gauges, there was no problem from ballast jamming in the narrow space between rails like we have now.

Bob
Attachments
L7 w.FrtTrainEd.jpg
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

Hey Bob,

I talked to the present owner and offered to help repair it. But her father has it in his basement and thinks he will fix it. Not going to happen. Another fine locomotive burried for view.

Bruce
B&OBob

PA Live Steamers

Post by B&OBob »

In answer to John's question, 3.5" ground level operation is great, as shown below by Jim Stewart about 1975 with his Tich. In fact, I ride lying down behind my 2.5" Tenwheeler! The riding car is now 4.75" gauge but until my joints got stiff about five years ago I always used a 2.5" gauge riding car. Balance when running was never a problem; it was the getting on and off that caused derailment. To me nothing beats riding behind your engine, looking right over the tender into the cab or over the side to see the rods, firing on the run - OK some coal gets on the deck. I have made ten laps of our 770 ft multigauge loop without stopping, and then only for water. Incidentally, there is no doubt about improved efficiency obtained by linking-up in a trip like that.

Bob
Attachments
Jim Stewart w.TichRd.jpg
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

Here you are Bob in fall 2006 with the 1/2 inch scale B&O 10 wheeler.

Bruce
Attachments
DSC00121.JPG
B&OBob

Pa Live Steamers

Post by B&OBob »

Thanks Bruce. I dug up an earlier pan shot with the old short 2.5" gauge riding car. It can be done, especially if you have been doing it all your life. Throttle open full, 15% cutoff, relax. That ain't the wind blowng the safety valve plume back!

Bob
Attachments
Running-PanEd.jpg
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

A couple more shots of the 'GEORGIA' loco in action.
Attachments
PLS 1961009.jpg
PLS 1961010.jpg