cylinder cock design from latest live steam mag...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

For the same reason I know not to, probably.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

gwrdriver wrote:At that time Bon-Ami was made of diatomeceous earth and was just the thing for seating model parts. I don't know what it's made of now, but I've no doubt it has been "improved" to the point where it's useless.
There are diatomeceous earth products for insect control at our gardening centres and big box stores. I believe they are nearly 100% "earth" with an attractant added.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Jim,
That's interesting to know and worth investigating. If anyone is like me even the smallest can of a very fine grit of Clover Compound would have lasted several lifetimes so I never bought the right stuff. I kind of wish I had now, or figured out a way to share a can, instead I tried everything else like toothpastes, Bon-Ami, other souring powders, etc. and just made do. I also have never tried Timesavers which I hear is good.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

OPen Cocks

Post by Bill Shields »

Open Cocks are also useful if the throttle is leaking a bit and you don't want water accumulating in the cylinders while standing.
gnsteam

Post by gnsteam »

On the topic of cylinder drains. Can anyone identify this style of steam operated cylinder drain that came with my 1" scale GN Mikado? They appear to have been mass produced due to the process required to make the diaphram (white plastic disc with to projects to seal the drains outlet). Are they still available? I need replacement diaphrams for two of the valves.

Fred
Attachments
phpcjEkdhPM.jpg
php3qTlpSPM.jpg
Fred
Bill Wilkins

Cyl Cocks

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Those look just like mine which were from Railroad Supply. My discs looked like yours, deformed from the steam pressure. I made new discs from .030. Some said you could take out the brass disc with the thicker disc, I left mine in. I'll know how the work in a bout two months.

Bill W.
Attachments
Cyl Cocks Mounted.jpg
Cyl Cock Assembly.jpg
gnsteam

Post by gnsteam »

Thanks Bill,

Having seen these drains and taking them apart for the first time. I assumed the deformed projections where made that way from the begaining. Didn't cross my mind that they became that way under constant pressure. Two of the discs are cracked through the projections. So all I need to do is make new flat discs.

Thanks for the reply!

Fred
Fred
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

I was watching this posting, and today a project came in the door. figured i would share with you folks! a full set of fullsize cylinder cocks came in to have new upper bodies made. here are photos of the fullsize one and dissasembled so you can see how they where built. came off a smaller loco. 2-6-2 wheel arrangement. it is operated by flat bar in the lower slots with ramped area to lift the valve of of the sealing surface.
Attachments
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Bill, that is some delicate plumbing protruding from the bottom of the cylinders! :) May all your tracks be tamped and your gauge be true...do you have some sort of strike plate below that level that will hit the track first?

As a followup to this discussion, we came up with our own design for a mechanical cock and it is working very well on air at least. We'll post some pictures and plans when they are finished. It's been great to see the 'dozen ways to skin a cat' postings, and we've just added another one I think...
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
pockets

Post by pockets »

gcarson,
Thanks a ton. Between your photos and BS's drawings, even I can develope a train of thought on the ramp type valves.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Harlock: I have to agree! That piping looks scary delicate and vulnerable! On my 0-4-0, I figure the front step type pilot "L"-shaped will make a good skidplate.

gcarsen: Where did you get that little quarter? Ha-Ha! What has worn out that new bodies are needed?
Attachments
Lever operated from cab - Coles plug type valve
Lever operated from cab - Coles plug type valve
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

we need to replace the upper body because the root of the threads that go into the cylinders have cracks in them. odball thread too! some thing like a 6tpi tapered pipe thread that i will need to match. the thread that the body threads into is a standard. at assembly we can run a tap into that thread to get the timing right for the valve bar.