Many questions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Anonymous

Many questions

Post by Anonymous »

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Hi:
I just finished My first stationary engine and now Im to the point of many questions.
First on cylinder lagging. I have some oak veneer that would look nice , but Im going to run the engine alot and dont know if the veneer would hold up to the heat.
Other wise Ill use metal brass sheet ect.
Second Im starting the boiler and have plans from coles for the portable.
How can I tell if copper tubing is seamless, or is it all seamless. Also I went to purchase Sil-Fos for brazing and find Sil-Fos , Sil-Fos6 , Sil-Fos12, ect . What is the proper sil-fos to use on copper boiler work , or is there something better.
Many Thanks In advance.
Ted
Tel

Re: Many questions

Post by Tel »

Hi Ted, your veneer will work fine if you do it right. First glue it down to a sheet of heavy paper, then use a craft knife & straight edge to cut through the veneer but no the paper to create the planks, now trim the thing to the exact size/shape you need & trial fit it until you get it right. Take it back off & give it several coats of a good clear varnish. Attached is one of mine.

What Engine is it
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

& here it is from another angle
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

& another..
Tel
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

'Sil-fos' or any of the phos-copper brazing alloys are not a good material to use on copper boilers. It's cheap and it's fluxless but that's all and it represents a potential safety hazard from stress cracking in the joints, especially in the presence of coal smoke. You probably won't fire with coal but in any case a better material choice would be a 45% silver solder which all of the major mfgs make.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

A good thing against anonymus posters: NO ANSWERE !!!!
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Awww, c'mon willy, at least he signed it "Ted". [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Ron
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Tel, I see that you "swizzled" that purty valve fitting on the side of the cylinder to shape it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (Swizzles some myself) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Ted, RE: The copper tubing. As far as I know (and that ain't very far) all the copper tubing is seamless drawn. Although I haven't any experience with any copper tubing over about 2 " dia. , I bet the bigger stuff is seamless also. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Stay away from the Silfos or whatever and do as was suggested and get some real silver solder, the more silver in it, the better it works.

Don't worry about the wood being damaged from the heat unless you are using a high degree of superheat. Take a look at the homebrew logging locomotive in the attachment for a big example of wood lagging.

Unka (likes to silversolder) Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Attachment did not download, so trying again. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (confused) Jesse
Tel

Post by Tel »

Good to see yer've taught yerself to swizzle Unk - pretty easy once you get the hang of it eh??
Tel
johnny

Post by johnny »

O.K., Unka and Tel, I'll bite. What is to "swizzle"? The only swizzle I know is the stick yoiu mix a drink with. Don't see anything like that in the pics.
Johnny