Charlton Railroad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Joe Ng

Charlton Railroad

Post by Joe Ng »

I shot some video in 1985 of Stan Barclay's Hudson and Atlantic that will become part of the Charlton RR equipment in early 1990s. The engineers were all Waushakum guys. It's on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6EqqumRN9M
Pennsy fan

Cool

Post by Pennsy fan »

If you want to see Howard Gorin's Steam Roller on the move, check this out.
d.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

The first locomotive is the original Joy Town Hudson castings supplied by Lester Friend.

The second locomotive the Atlantic was scratch built by Jim Maxhiemer, following no particular prototype. I owned the Atlantic for several years. I sold it to Keith Taylor and I think he sold it to Dave Knowles and Dave sold it to Stan Barclay. I’m not sure were it is today But I have seen pictures of it running at the Waushakum club.

That’s the Atlantic and Dave at the NJLS 25th anniversary meet in 1986
Attachments
Copy of 3F.jpg
steamingdon

charlton RR

Post by steamingdon »

All engines still owned by Charlton RR Foundation. The Hudson resides @ WLS engine house,Atlantic is @ Plum Cove RR and the American is in Charlton. All of these engines are in dire need of some TLC.

Don
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Thanks Joe for the glimps into the past ! Don is right,the hudson ,at least,is in need of some tlc.
That huson chassie was bought by Lester Friend in the early 50's or very late 40's with the patterns and no drawings.Lester finished the engine and ran it at the Topsfield Fair as the Joytown Railroad.There were
only a few sets of castings that became finished engines.I think Mr Parsons hudson in NJ is one ,and there is one other.
The chassie that Lester bought ,Ibelieve,was built by the Calvert Holt of Ct. I have heard he was building (7?) for the world fair when he died suddenly in the late 30's . Maybe Keith may be able to shed a little more light on the hudsons history ....pre Lester.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

I don't know about the particular history of the Friend's Hudson, but I do know that Calvert Holt of Greenwich, Connecticut died as a result of an accident while working on an inch and a half scale model locomotive. He was working on the loco on a rolling work stand and the loco started to roll off one end. Mr.Holt tried to stop the locomotive from hitting the floor and he caught the falling chassis on his lap and legs. A blood clot formed as a result of the massive trauma, and when the blood clot dislodged, it ended up in his brain....killing him. I have often wondered what ever happened to the 7-1/4" gauge Pennsylvania RR K-4s model that Mr. Holt built for a customer. It was pictured in the Modelmaker magazine and looked to be a fine locomotive.
Keith
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Keith

I believe Mr. Holt made some equipment for the Centerville and Southwestern RR. That’s the Becker farm railroad. Mr. Holt made the 2 inch scale 6 wheeled Pullman trucks and two scale cross compound air compressors. The compressor looked great but pumped very little air pressure.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Dave,
Mr. Holt may have made some stuff for the C&SW but I am pretty sure the six wheel trucks and the air compressor were made by Berthold Audsley of Bloomfield, NJ. Mr. Audsley was a professional model maker, who began in the model shop of the Thomas A. Edison company, and later he worked for Westinghouse in their model shop.
Mr. Audsley was the son of George Ashdown Audsley, world famous architect and pipe organ designer.
Several of Berthold Audsley's models are at the Newark Museum in Newark, New Jersey.
Keith
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Keith

Your are 100% correct. My mind is slipping. It's been twenty five years since I studied that stuff. Im just mixed up Thanks.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

BTW Keith

Did you ever consider writing a book on the history of miniture trains.

You know I still have the copy of Little Railways of The World you gave me a Million years ago. It's time for an update.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

LVRR2095 wrote:I don't know about the particular history of the Friend's Hudson, but I do know that Calvert Holt of Greenwich, Connecticut died as a result of an accident while working on an inch and a half scale model locomotive. He was working on the loco on a rolling work stand and the loco started to roll off one end. Mr.Holt tried to stop the locomotive from hitting the floor and he caught the falling chassis on his lap and legs. A blood clot formed as a result of the massive trauma, and when the blood clot dislodged, it ended up in his brain....killing him. I have often wondered what ever happened to the 7-1/4" gauge Pennsylvania RR K-4s model that Mr. Holt built for a customer. It was pictured in the Modelmaker magazine and looked to be a fine locomotive.
Keith
That would be the first death I have ever heard of in relation to the Hobby.

Lesson: Just let it go...let it go...
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Trainman4602 wrote:BTW Keith

Did you ever consider writing a book on the history of miniture trains.
It could be an interesting project. I wonder if there would be any market for such a book?