mechanical lubricator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

CB&Q

Re: Homemade Lubricator Pump

Post by CB&Q »

Fred_V wrote:.....i understand but you still get a slug of oil for every wheel rev. the typical luber gives a slug for every 10 to 20 wheel revs.
just a warning, be prepared for it when you first steam up.
Well. My "slug" of oil each wheel revolution can be dialed down to only slightly more than none, so, I guess I just have an a-typical luber, as far as mode of operation is concerned, eh?

Have no hour-meter, but am estimating about 4 or 5 laps total so far around my "loop", which is about 700 feet, so maybe half a mile (REAL mile, not scale). There is a light splattering of fine oily droplets on the smokebox around the stack. Have had valves out to inspect seals, they seemed lightly oily to the touch.

I feel more oil than needed is better than none. My oilr reservoir has "lost" perhaps an ounce or 2 of oil so far to "operation".

CB&Q
One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

cb&q:

I always thought the purpose of modeling trains (in any scale) was to make the model
look as close to the real thing as possible, as in "prototypical". That is why I run on rail
instead of barstock.

Now we all compromise a little bit when the needs of function override the needs of
appearance - except maybe TrainMan, who pays incredible attention to detail and seems
to solve almost every proplem in a very prototypical manner.

But looking at your photos, it looks like you put your lubers in a very bad place. You
have this chunk of pipe hanging out there where it doesn't belong, with thiis huge half
inch tube connecting to it coming from who knows where. I at least try to hide mine
between the #1 drivers.

Even if it does work, it just doesn't look right. Is there any way you can hide these
maybe behind the crosshead or something?

Thanks -- Bill
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill_Gardei wrote:cb&q:

I always thought the purpose of modeling trains (in any scale) was to make the model
look as close to the real thing as possible, as in "prototypical". That is why I run on rail
instead of barstock.
Is that rail aluminum? If so, isn't that wrong? How would aluminum rail be more "right" than running on steel flat bar?

While it may be desirable for some to build faithful reproductions in miniature, it isn't a requirement. Otherwise, there would be few modelers.

Precious few engines are faithful reproductions. All kinds of compromises are made, some of necessity, others because, to the builder, it just doesn't matter. It is not for others to make the decision on what is acceptable, and what is not.

Each of us marches to the drummer we hear. I see no right or wrong in chosen methods so long as others are not harmed by one's choices.

Harold
bcody

SCALE LOCOMOTIVES

Post by bcody »

Harold:

Amen.

I run trains to have fun, not to impress people with how close I can come to an exact miniature of a given item. I run a Bill Conner 4+4 beam engine which never existed in 1 to 1 scale but it sure does run in 1.5" to 1' scale. Too much fun.

Bill
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i too prefer freelance design but i also love to see a museum quality reproduction engine. they are really amazing.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Harold:

To most modelers, it's not what it's made of - It's what it looks like that is
most important. Sure, to some purists, the choice of materials matters
also.

But consider, the HO, N, S, O, and G scale modelers - and any other
gauge for that matter. If they had to use steel there would be no modelers.

If I could make my Mikado out of polystyrene (like the other gauges)
without it melting down, I would do it.

One of the finest craftsmen I ever knew was the late Lee Wright. He had a
slogan on his website that said. "If it aint steel - it aint real". I always thought
he meant it. He informed me that the slogan was only "tongue in cheek". It
was a joke. For even Lee didn't always abide by the rule.

But man did he ever create some incredible rolling stock and locomotives! To
him looks was everything. He surprised me one day by congratulating me in
an E-mail message on completing my coil car. Despite being a master craftsman
he was also quite a gentleman. Here's to you, Lee.

Bill
FLtenwheeler

Re: SCALE LOCOMOTIVES

Post by FLtenwheeler »

bcody wrote:Harold:

Amen.

I run trains to have fun, not to impress people with how close I can come to an exact miniature of a given item. I run a Bill Conner 4+4 beam engine which never existed in 1 to 1 scale but it sure does run in 1.5" to 1' scale. Too much fun.

Bill
I am with you Bill. I like to have fun. Whether it is running the 10-wheeler or relaxing running the box.
Attachments
10-wheeler.jpg
The Box.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

Bill_Gardei wrote:cb&q:
Even if it does work, it just doesn't look right. Is there any way you can hide these
maybe behind the crosshead or something?

Thanks -- Bill
Already been done, Bill. Out of necessity, as heat from beneath the firebox melted the PVC tubing, so it is now gone. Some of my work is done in haste, to arrive at a functioning test ability, with thoughts of cleaning up later. Not good modelling practice when aiming for realism of appearance, I know. Guess I aim about half-way, sometimes.....

CB&Q
One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fred_V wrote:i too prefer freelance design but i also love to see a museum quality reproduction engine. they are really amazing.
Yep! I agree, and, given enough time, I hope to pursue just such a project, but that others may not share that objective should not make them feel as if they aren't a part of the fraternity of live steamers. That was the purpose in my comments. Everyone is welcome on this board, so long as they have manners and can leave religion and politics at the curb. They need not be master builders with an eye only for perfect reproduction in miniature..

Harold
Andrew Pugh

Re: SCALE LOCOMOTIVES

Post by Andrew Pugh »

FLtenwheeler wrote:
bcody wrote:Harold:

Amen.

Bill
I am with you Bill. I like to have fun. Whether it is running the 10-wheeler or relaxing running the box.
Holy cow...I was expecting a box cab electric or something...
:)
Bill Shields

Lubricator

Post by Bill Shields »

Or, you can go the displacement lubricator route and not worry about what it looks like outside.

This is a photo of a loco that I saw this weekend.

Nothing outside, you can see what oil is being supplied...all those good things.