Drilling 3/4" holes in Mild Steel

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Ken Schroeder

Rorobroach

Post by Ken Schroeder »

It is nice to have the holder for the cutter but not necessary. The cutters have a 5/8" Weldon shank which could be used in a end mill holder. The holders made for the cutters have a spring in them which pushes against the ejector pin so that once the cutter passes through what ever you are cutting, the ejector pin kicks the slug out of the cutter. You can also use the ejector pin to line the cutter up over a mark or center punched hole but the center pin is not needed to guide the cutter. If you have already pilot drilled the hole locations, you can just go over the existing hole with no problem. I have a holder that was purchased with a R8 shank and I then made another holder with a #3 morse taper. The holders are fairly easy to make and it saves some money. Another nice thing about these cutters is that you can cut a partial hole on the edge of a plate without them wandering. I usually find the cutter I need on the internet for a reasonable price and I always buy the ones that include the ejector pin.

Ken
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

... Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Once again it looks like
all of us learned something. Everybody wins this time. -- Bill