3/4" Scale Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

A kind sole took pity on me and sent some really cool microscopic 3/4" diamond tread. Just perfect for the front deck on the tender....
See you in the funny pages
Jack
Attachments
DndTrd1.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
ATenStp.JPG
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

just finished reading this great thread to here, really looking forward to watching it continue
dampfloko

Post by dampfloko »

Jack, that is truly cool! I hope you've worn ear protection as you did all the riveting! AMHIK doing auto body work with air chisels is not good for higher frequencies in your hearing chart :cry:
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Nice diamond tread. Better than the pizza grease sheet idea. ;)
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Thank you my friends for the kind words. I like that diamond tread too Mike. It's actually 1-1/2" diamond tread from real trains, but it's so nice I just went ahead and used up some little scraps that I had laying around. And yes Dampfloco, I use ear protection when riveting. I will be getting back to the tender tank soon. The focus for now is to get the arch bar truck masters off to Brad so he can work his magic. Then it will either back onto the cylinders and valve gear, or the tender tank. The tank still needs the beading around the top, the grab irons, steps, brake cylinder, plumbing, coal bunker extension, cut levers, water hatch screen...see you in the funny pages
Jack
dampfloko

Post by dampfloko »

Jack, it will be interesting to read how you do the beading. You prob'ly know this already.... but from old friend Bruce Hamilton I learned to silver-solder a piece of brass shaft [say 1" dia] to the center of a brass disk [maybe 6" dia ¼" plate]. True-up the shaft first; then face-off the disk in your lathe, with shaft held in a collet. Remove from lathe. Wind solid copper wire in a spiral, hold it flat, and soft-solder it to the face of the disk. Back to lathe, face-off again -- remove about half the copper wire. Finally, un-solder the D-shaped copper, give it a strong pull to straighten, and you've got tender beading of correct cross section. Glenn :)
JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale Tender

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It looks like I will be making some parts for the tender. Things like tender steps, grab irons, cut lever brackets, brake cylinder and such. I will be making masters and having these parts investment cast so they will be available. Also if you have any suggestions for some other generic detail parts for tenders that may be useful let me know and I will see what I can do.
See you in the funny pages
Jack
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

JBodenmann wrote:Also if you have any suggestions for some other generic detail parts for tenders that may be useful let me know and I will see what I can do.
Maybe a rerailer to hang on the side?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'll add re railer to the list. I think one would look good hanging under the tender.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Got back to work on the tender this weekend. The masters were made for the tender brake cylinder. They will be sent off to Brad next week along with the 3/4" scale couplers that were finished up. Both the brake cylinder and couplers will be available soon. The brake cylinder will have a bore that can be finished from 5/8" out to 13/16" with a 3/4" stroke. The heads will be held in place by #1-72 tee bolts or studs what ever the builder decides to use. The piston rod will be 5/32". The bosses for the air line will allow 1/8" model pipe threads but one of the products that I will be making is a line of 3/32" tees ells and unions. Maybe even 1/16" fittings. For the smaller scales this may come in handy. I have made many 3/32" and 1/16" fittings from bar stock but a line of castings would certainly speed things up. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
BrakeCylinder1.jpg
Brakecylinder2.jpg
BrakeCylinder3.jpg
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Jack, the work you do continues to blow me away. I wish I could sit in your shop just to watch you work.

Really.
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!