3/4" Scale Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: 3/4" Scale Tender

Post by Harold_V »

KidAmato wrote:where could I purchase such a small compressor and battery set up.
You may wish to explore the 12V air compressors that are found in many of the GM and Ford automobiles. They're small, reliable, and can be purchased from salvage yards for a pittance.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I don't know why not.

http://www.islandpondrailroad.com/tombe ... kparts.htm

One can mount the compressor and air tank side by side, then mount the battery further along the car and maybe lengthwise.

Everything is cetainly not height restricted, although I do not know what the interior dimensions of a 3/4 scale boxcar are.

I do not remember the specific batter I bought, but this one is more than big enough:
Exide Tractor Battery, 235 CCA
Overall size is 7-3/4"L x 5-3/16"W x 7-5/16"H.

Brian
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Other than the fun of making the parts and having a working 3/4" brake system on your locomotive, I can't see the practical aspect of using the engine to stop the riding car of fatass. I would think the wheels would lock up even before you get to a full application since Aluminum rail is the norm. George Thomas built a 1" air brake system using a small pump on the first riding car to build up air.It was mentioned in the Sept-Oct 1952 Miniature Locomotive. Has anyone any more info on this system and if is was practicle or even sucessful over time?
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Steve,
The real benefit of course is that is where most of the weight is.

The reality is that one would want a balanced brake system that would effectively apply brakes from the engine all the way back to the caboose, as in the real thing.

In our operation if one has a full train of passenger cars with passengers, then Dave Sclavi's system is ideal. Auto air brakes on everything all the way to the end of the train.However, a freight train with multiple examples of loaded head end and rear cars and all forms of empty freight cars in between is more like what most of us encounter.

So, the ability to stop the train with the engine and tender and perhaps a head end brakie riding right behind is paramount, and if one has an independent brake system for the rear brakie and conductor at the caboose end, then even better.

Brian
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

makinsmoke wrote:The reality is that one would want a balanced brake system that would effectively apply brakes from the engine all the way back to the caboose, as in the real thing.
The reality of running 3/4" scale freight trains is not the same as 1-1/2" scale or full-size. The engines are underweight. The lead flat car is overweight thanks to the out-of-scale engineer (mmmmmmm… burgers… ) and the rest of the train is seriously underweight.

The average freight car weighs between 5 to 30 lbs. More than that and you can forget a long train because the loco doesn't have enough weight on its drivers to get a grip.

This is why IF you run brakes, and many do not due to the lack of long down grades, it is a skid plate under the head end car. I have that on my car and almost never use it except as a parking brake or to make the engine work harder than required. Waushakum's drop out of the big covered bridge is the only exception but unless someone is stopped at the bottom, we roll right on downhill with the throttle almost closed and ride her out.

That said, I totally agree with Steve that it is very neat to see working brakes on an engine but having run several with them, their use as intended is limited. So are the tiny bells, small ladders, hand rails and such but we still put them on our engines. And Jack B. does this better than most.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I must agree that working brakes on the engine and tender won't be very effective. Brakes on the riding car will be what does the work. It will have good brakes, and a fat old gomer setting on it. The riding car will house the compressor and batteries and a very tiny reservoir. There will be operating brakes on the engine and tender just because that's the way the full size one was. Just because it's a tiny engine that's no reason to get lazy and start leaving things off. No offense intended, I know I'm a lunatic! Build em' for yourself and build em' the way you like. It's your model and you are making it. No reason to color between the lines. What is important is that you make something, and don't just wag your chin.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

What is important is that you make something, and don't just wag your chin.
Jack, I will have to add that to my library of stolen quotes. I'm still laughing

Vic.
For Duty and Humanity
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

Sure is nice to hear of your 3/32 scale plumbing fittings. With the conductor valve for the caboose now in lost wax form, it will not be long before a need for your proposed fittings presents itself in the cupola of the caboose.

Is there any timeline established for this new series of fittings?

Robert
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I brought this forward for Carrdo. It may be useful.
Jack